Wraith's N16 Almera Sport

-----History-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My previous car: Tornado Grey N16 E
My next car: Red GTi
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to dump my much loved but troubled 1.5 2000 W-reg N16 Almera rather than throw good money at getting it fixed-up enough to sell.

However, you don't get rid of me that easily.. I picked up a 1.8 2001 51-reg N16 Almera Sport yesterday. :cool:

Basically it's exactly the same as the last one (yup, even the colour - basically I'm just too lazy to change my sig), but in better condition, with a bigger engine and all the little extras that come with the Sport version (foglamps, spoiler, colour-coded electric mirrors, air-con, ABS, twin airbags, 15" alloys, keyless entry, CD player and best of all no bloody swirl-control-valve-solenoid-circuit, botched paint-job or weird whistling noises, etc etc).

Only 23,000 miles on the clock, full Nissan service history, serviced and MOT'd last month, tax 'till march, new front discs, pads and tyres, one elderly, non-smoking lady owner. £4000 from Arnold Clark, Motherwell (delivered to Edinburgh for free). £350 a year to insure through Adrian Flux, fully comp.

Interior and engine bay are pristine, alloys have minimal kerbing, bodywork has a few tiny touch-ups and scratches but no door-dings or stone chips. There's been a pretty horrible patch-up done on a hole in the rear bumper but I just happen to know where to get a direct replacement for nowt. All electrics working and it runs beautifully.

Sooo.. had a busy day today transferring stuff from the old car to the new one..
Swapped over the rear bumper, the clear side indicators (different bulb holders so swapped them too), my 17" alloys, all the uprated bulbs, all the wipers, the gear knob, stereo and so-on plus all the little extras like floor mats and customised cubby-holes. Also de-stickered and washed the new one.

Bloody knackered and the detour to kwik-fit to get yet another nail removed from my brand new 17" tyres didn't help.

Only complaints are that someone or something put a 10" crack in the passenger side of the windscreen half an hour before I picked it up (getting fixed for free on Tues) and it looks like it's on stilts because I'd be cheaper getting new Eibach's fitted than getting the old ones swapped over. (I'll get that done ASAP, though, once I've finally convinced myself that coilovers are an unnecessary luxury).

Pics tomorrow if I can grab some (too dark here now) but like I say it's just like my old one but with fogs, CC'd mirrors and one of the low-profile spoilers.

Only had it a day and I love it already.

Last edited:
Nice one! Sounds like a good buy that.
Have you noticed much of a difference in performance?
Busy day then, someone deserves a beer or two.

Yup, well chuffed I spotted it, took a gamble as I didn't see it before I bought it (stupid, I know - there wasn't even a picture on the advert on the dealer's website) but it seems to have paid off so far - got a month's parts warranty so I hope anything that's going to go wrong does so soon.

There's a huge difference in performance over my old 1.5, lots of low-rev torque and feels 'fast' rather than 'nippy' up to 60 but still has plenty of bite left at motorway speeds. Not a racer by any means but streets ahead of the 1.5, very fun to drive and exactly the balance of performance and economy I need (not to say I'm not considering modding for more power, though.)

It's only about 18hp more than the 1.5 but feels a lot more than that, knocks a couple of seconds off the listed 0-60 (11.? rather than 13.?).
I believe the 1.8 has NVTC (Nissan's Variable valve Timing Control technology) which may give it more kick? Though someone could clarify that for me.

Still got loads of non-car stuff to catch up on so sadly will have to wait till tomorrow for that beer.

Nice one man! Sounds like you made the right decision. Get some pics up! hehe.

Still a 5door?

Much more to insure? I think there's only 1 insurance group between the 1.5 and 1.8.

I did take quite a long look at a 1.8 being sold near me recently. Same red as well but 5 door. Don't really have the money at the moment in the run up to christmas anyway.

Yup, 5-door again.

Only about 70 quid a year more to insure and I'd valued my last car at half the value of the new one anyway.
I'm 35, been driving for 17 years, got a 6-year NCB, a low-risk occupation, no points and a driveway, though, so insurance is not that bad.

This was really an impulse buy; I saw the ad online, organised a loan and got a deposit down all within a couple of hours last Sunday. Only reason it took me 6 days to get my grubby paws on it was waiting for the loan to come through and then waiting for the dealer to get it taxed and delivered. Could have picked it up Fri evening but insurance didn't kick-in 'till Saturday. I'm usually skint around Christmas too but I don't have to start paying the loan back until February.

Missing the bass notes so I got a new 12" active sub tonight.

Clicky make big.

I know sod-all about ice and often need to clear the boot to move stuff about so went for an active sub again but got a half-decent one this time.

All cabled-up except the earth because the cable kit I bought only has a 1m earth lead and the nearest earth in an N16 is in the driver-side center post. Grrrr.
Will get up early and fix that before work.

Looking good mate. Quite alot of us scottish lot have all good new cars since the last meet we had!

Cheers.

Lots of nice new cars and nice things being done to the older ones too.
Guess we're all just getting our act together :)
Looking forward to the next Scottish meet.

Well done wraithy boy - looking rather nice and EXCEPTIONALLY clean... Last time my engine bay was that clean it was in the hands of the owner when it was new!!

Good find and as everyone here's saying looking forward to the next scottish meet - whenever thats happening :roll: LoL

Some new bits and bobs - not much time or money right now due to moving-in with my fiancée and getting married soon but, still, can't resist some minor mods :)

( click pics for bigger versions )

Direct-fit Sebring performance backbox with 90mm tailpipe..
Kudos to Dave at Demon Tweeks for sorting it out for me for a good price and DM Conversions in Dunbar for fitting it at short notice for a couple of tenners.

New wheels (due to bastard potholes) and painted calipers and hubs.
Used Hammerite direct-to-rust hammered light blue and direct-to-rust satin black. I just did them on the car so only took a couple of hours this afternoon.

K&N 57i induction kit..

Black mesh lower grille..

Also fitted unbranded licence plates and removed the rear 'Almera' and 'Sport' badges.

Will get some pics of the whole thing at the Stirling meet tomorrow.

Car now sounds great, the induction kit and backbox complement each other really nicely - not too loud when cruising but deep and growly with the foot to the floor. Acceleration seems a bit smoother and punchier now too.

Smoked the rear lights last week - looked good but I made a patchy job of it and it looked a bit shoddy from a few feet away so I stripped it before getting pics. Maybe do that again next weekend.

I know I have a Razo gearknob around here somewhere that I have to fit.

Next step is coilovers (when the KSport group-buy is sorted), 205/45/17 tyres, wind deflectors, subtle splitters and side-skirts and respraying the rear bumper.

After that probably bucket seats then maybe some engine work and a remap or chipping.

I've totally missed this somehow. Looks like a good find. Very nice to have such a low milage and near new car for that price. Definately a buyers market out there. Sounds like you have good plans for it.

Car looks great wraith! I'd love to hear it, ya got any youtube links?? I'd say it'll look fantastic when you're finished with it...

Cheers, I had the stock exhaust system & a replacement panel filter from PiperX, at full throttle you could hear it but only with the stereo off. It sounded the business but I had always wondered how good the K&N Induction kit would sound...

It's pretty brutal TBH, there seems to be a lot of space around it in my engine bay compared to my 1.5 and without the backbox it was a bit high-pitched and screamy above 5000 rpm. With the backbox, though, it's lost a lot of the scream without losing the growl.

Lookin good man! Nice backbox and enjoying the subtltly of your mods.

As an aside - rear mounts arrived for coilovers today so all will be on and screwed down for banzai. Then you will get to see if you like and want them!

Back
Top Bottom