James' N16 SXE DCi

Got some fun reading tonight:
2012-04-18 18-04-20.525.jpg

The reason: to try and wire an amp in using high level inputs. Going to splice directly into the front left/right outputs BEFORE the audio relay, therefore bypassing the annoying nav voice and low fuel/temp chime. Whether the audio still dips when they should happen is another matter!

Cheers, gonna need it! If it all goes well ill report back, hopefully with some kind of guide!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

So yeah, I found this thread again after delving through emails.

Fair few bits been done to the car since I last posted, so I'll split them into separate posts...

July 2012
Installed amplifier and component speakers while still using Nissan's built in Nav / Climate / Stereo solution.

Here's a few pics, including the state of the standard speakers:

LO9FVcvl.jpg

c6MApgKl.jpg

Wiring for the line-converter from the standard FL and FR outputs. Will write a guide for this at some point!

5DsT2hll.jpg

Amp tucked away under the passenger seat, RCA lead is way too long but the only one I had to hand!

UBAlqJPl.jpg

Component tweeter location, main woofer is hidden away under the standard grille.
I was going to move this to the original place under the A-Pillar, but the new tweeters are too big, and I lost interest in doing it!

August 2012
In my pursuit to keep the main unit standard, I expanded my options with a Yatour MP3 / Aux In adapter.

It plugs into the CD changer socket of the unit, and emulates a CD changer, but obviously with the option of many more "CDs" in MP3 format.

Video of it in action:

September 2012
I bought a discounted 'Bluespark CR Tech' tuning box from eBay.

It worked absolutely fine for a while, then it started throwing all sorts of error codes at me, usually putting the car into limp mode, and giving me this handy HUGE image:
Csm9DpJl.jpg

No amount of fiddling with it would stop these errors, so needless to say, I've removed it.

Here's a couple of the problems it was causing:
  • P1610 - Happens if I turn it up too much
  • P1614 - Ditto
  • P1272 - This one's like a super-limp mode, I ended up slowing down to 30mph on a dual carriageway. Unsurprisingly on further investigation:
    522b4a9e.jpg

b78e3d83.jpg
Oh, and some twat did this, probably by accident on a bike, but still.... :|
jgAbR10l.jpg

November 2012
This error appeared for the first time:

6XQK8Yyl.jpg

It's happening more often now so I'm gonna have to do something about it soon I guess!

January 2013
Britain's wonderfully maintained roads did this to my wheel:

GdeysH9l.jpg

Took it to a reputable alloy wheel repairer in Kent, and was informed it was beyond repair :(

February 2013
Installed one of these filters, as I needed a new one anyway:

jqnOOACl.jpg

27th February
I've owned the car for a year now, 23,000 or so miles and 27.5 days behind the wheel (trip computer FTW) and it's yet to annoy me, or at least throw a major spanner in the works!

Reactions: edk
March 2013

Fitted strut brace (which made more of a difference than I first expected), and updated sat nav disc to 2013 (I've still got plenty of blank dual layer DVDs if anyone wants one!) :)

uvgFaNOl.jpg

gGf4EQll.jpg

Phew, all up to date now! I'll try and keep on top of this now!

Hope one turns up second hand for you!
You're keen, I hadn't even moved this thread back into the public forums yet! ;)

So do I mate, I'm currently running OZ 17s on the front and a pair of the old N16 wheels on the back.

I'm tempted to just sell the OZs on eBay and get 4 decent Rainsports on the 16s!

Some interesting stuff in the above post, will be looking in to getting a mp3 thingy aswell. Didn't think you would go for a eBay box James, DPT tunning box is the best as I'm sure you already know, but forget all that when you joining the hybrid club (2*).

(*Ed's spec new hybrid turbo lol).

After having no luck finding a replacement wheel for my buckled OZ's, I managed to find a set of P11-144 Sport+ wheels in a local scrapyard for a decent price, so I have decided to just stick with them for the time being. They don't look too bad, better than the standard N16 wheels I think.

Problem already though, the front tyres are incredibly noisy so I've ordered 2 Rainsports for the front, and will probably buy another two in a couple of months.

r53EbgP.jpg

September 2012
I bought a discounted 'Bluespark CR Tech' tuning box from eBay.

It worked absolutely fine for a while, then it started throwing all sorts of error codes at me, usually putting the car into limp mode, and giving me this handy HUGE image:
Csm9DpJl.jpg

No amount of fiddling with it would stop these errors, so needless to say, I've removed it.

Ditto, even Bluespark themselves couldn't resolve this without almost setting it to zero. Got a refund from them also on my Pro box, shame really as my mpg was pretty good.

Ditto, even Bluespark themselves couldn't resolve this without almost setting it to zero. Got a refund from them also on my Pro box, shame really as my mpg was pretty good.

I feel a little bit better now as it probably wasn't just a dodgy box I got.

The only one that seems to work reliably is the DPT one!

Back
Top Bottom