My new vzr n1 version 2

I ended my engines life on the way back from a car show the other day! I was wrecked tired and wasn't used to driving the car since it hadn't been out in over a year! anyway long story short I mis shifted from 5th to 1st gear instead of the intended 3rd. Wasn't driving it on or anything just slowing coming to a junction hit first at about 80km/h and you can guess the rest took the head off monday night to this...

26072010065.jpg

26072010066.jpg

26072010067.jpg

26072010068.jpg

26072010069.jpg

26072010070.jpg

26072010071.jpg

26072010072.jpg

I'm now on a quick scout around for an n1 head...

I have a bluetop head at home with tiny damage (3 slightly bent valves) so if I can't get one i'm going to order Manganeze bronze guides, Brian Crower Titanium dual springs and retainers, and Supertech +1mm intake and +2mm exhaust oversize valves along with port and polish and skimming from a local engineering company, Much better than the original N1 head i'm sure ye will agree but if I can find an N1 head it would save me a lot of grief and get me back on the road faster.

Also this is now time for the upgrade to 2litre, I have a lot of the bottom end parts for 2lt at home so just makes sense now. I'm going to use n1 pistons and going for a cr of about 13:1

It wen't back in very sick to the garage at home but should come out a monster! Lets hope the wait for parts doesn't kill me.

:eek: that is one painful sight, totally gutted for ya mate...am sure you'll get it back on the road stronger than before...

i think i just threw up a little, that makes me cringe like hell

cant wait for your build though mate, make sure to take loads of pics :) i plan to do exactly the same

Steve

Gorgeous looking car in the pics ready for the show mate. Those calipers are tight eh! Got a recently developed soft spot of Enkei wheels now :lol:

Sad times there buddy, hope you find the head and it's quick to get back on the road ;). Sorry I didnt make Scottish Modified this year due to work. Did you make it in the end?

Ouch ! That's one very expensive mis-shift - eeek :( Hope she's up & running again very soon. Sounds like a monster engine in the pipeline . . . . . :)

that head is fucked dude :( im pritty sure with that damage theres no way you could salvage that.. now as far as im aware.. the only difference between the N1 heads and the noram SR16 heads is a head skim the valves themselves and the cams.. the actual ports are the same.. also the inlet manifold but that bolts to the SR16 head anyway so you might be better just scrapping that and getting the SR16 worked over..

Thanks raceworx ah I knew it the minute I took it off it's going to be the bluetop head i'm going to have to use but thats a blessing in itself because the CR would just be a little too high on the N1 head for our crap fuel over here.

Talking to a lad from greece the differences are:
N1 head is factory skimmed
N1 head chamber is smaller compared to a 16/20ve
N1 intake valves have different characteristics
N1 springs are smaller in length and also softer
N1 Cams are different
N1 retainers can be used on 16/20ve head

But with the stuff i'm going to do to the other head it will be much better than a stock n1 head.

Now can anyone tell me there are two types of valve springs I can get 100lb or 130lb, One says street the other race, Any negative effects of going for the 130lb?

Thanks raceworx ah I knew it the minute I took it off it's going to be the bluetop head i'm going to have to use but thats a blessing in itself because the CR would just be a little too high on the N1 head for our crap fuel over here.

Talking to a lad from greece the differences are:
N1 head is factory skimmed
N1 head chamber is smaller compared to a 16/20ve
N1 intake valves have different characteristics
N1 springs are smaller in length and also softer
N1 Cams are different
N1 retainers can be used on 16/20ve head

But with the stuff i'm going to do to the other head it will be much better than a stock n1 head.

Now can anyone tell me there are two types of valve springs I can get 100lb or 130lb, One says street the other race, Any negative effects of going for the 130lb?

The N1 chamber is smaller because of the head skim.. they tae IIRC 1mm of the head so in turn this makes the combustion chamber smaller.. hence the pistopns in an N1 are lower copression than regualr 16VE ones..

the intake valves are cut back on the stems to allow for more airflow..

so all you really need to do is skim the 16 head fit some oversized supertech valves and there race springs and titanium retainers and your better then an N1 head :D

All that stuff above is ordered from erics performance. There was something about the valve guides having to be cut to any one any more info on that?

I have to get on to greg from gspec this afternoon now and order all the nice pulleys and all the other essentials to go along with the build new oil pump timing chain, rings, Bolts etc.

Right may as well continue with the engine specs here...

I already have:

Crankshaft 2 litre,
Rods 2 litre,
Another set of sr16ve N1 pistons,
Another SR16VE block.

I had ordered valves and springs but cancelled them POC assures me he has a cheaper place to get them...

I complied a list there friday and placed an order for them off G-Spec in America,
Which Consisted of

1 GSP VVL ALUM UNDERDRIVE CR PLY 135.00 135.00T
1 GSP Aluminum oversized water pump pulley, 2.0 FWD 53.00 53.00T
1 JDM VVL ENGINE GASKET SET 160.00 160.00T
1 JDM SR20 VVL RING SET HI-COMP 90.00 90.00T
1 TIMING CHAIN, SR20 89.56 89.56T
1 CRANK GEAR, SR20 12.15 12.15T
1 CAM GEARS SR20(+/-8*) 125.00 125.00T
1 JDM FRONT COVER/OIL PUMP VVL 240.00 240.00T
1 JDM GUIDE, TIMING CHAIN, CURED (SLACK SIDE) 66.78 66.78T
1 JDM GUIDE, TIMING CHAIN, STRAIGHT (TENSION SIDE) 16.56 16.56T
1 JDM TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER N1 (SR MOTORS) 100.00 100.00T
1 JDM SR16VE VVL WATER PUMP 75.00 75.00T
10 HEAD BOLTS, SR20 3.38 33.80T
1 ESTIMATED EXPRESS SHIPPING 85.00 85.00

The bank account took a firece hammering.

I'm hoping the customs dont get too much of a look in TBH I asked him to put a small value on the package only thing is i'll be screwed if it gets lost in the post!

After that what I should be ordering through POC's source is...

Supertech valves +1mm intake +2 mm exhaust,
Manganese bronze valve guides,
Brian Crower 130lb dual titanium springs and retainers,
ACL Race big and small end bearings,
and an sr20ve 20v headgasket.

I put a brand new clutch into it about 3 months ago and old drove out to the show on that so that will be mint, I'm looking into a flywheel but can't decide?

Super list mate. I'm hoping to get most of this, just spread out over a year :lol:

I would seriously get Greg to send a few at a time though. That's a lot of money to loose to the wank postal service

Steve

Back
Top Bottom