Sill construction and repair

Hi all.
Newbie here, but not to cars;)
I bought a 1998 Almera Si last september very cheap 'cos it was well rusty. Needed a car to get me through the winter. My Wife has the exact same car - right down to the colour and interior!! Only the alloy wheels are different.

Anyway, it has lasted me well through the snow and ice but is now out of test (last monday). So, scrap it or repair it? ....................... Go on then, lets have a go at fixing it:eek:

DSCF0004.jpg

Heres a photo of the drivers side sill. Looks good but there is some bubbling right in the middle of the sill under the back of the door. Some hammer tapping later and here we go

DSCF0005.jpg

Out comes the air saw and all the badly rusted stuff cut out. First thing to notice was the presence of an inner sill. (which was also rusty).

DSCF0006.jpg

The front half of the sill is purely an inner and an outer. The back half is somewhat different (as you will see later). The front half of the sill goes down to halfway then bends inwards and goes all the way to the back. Then an outer sill panel is welded on top of that from halfway back all the way to the rear tyre. Notice also that there is another inner sill under the first inner sill (!), and then another thicker one at the back that the floor and outriggers/mounts are welded to.

Anyway, the rest of the sill is not too bad so was reconstructed from the inner sill and then the outer sill. All welded in.

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Now awaiting some blue paint (tomorrow), and on to the other side.................................................................................................

Andy.

Go on then, lets have a go at the other side.
The whole point of this thread is to give an idea of what is involved in a "proper" repair to the sills and adjacent areas. None of this "rust coming back next year" malarky for me. Note that I not a pro bodyman, but have been welding since i was 18 (now 47!). I am in fact a teacher of GCSE and A level maths at a comprehensive school:)
But I know how steel behaves and how rust forms. I can panel beat most panels from scratch and prep and paint them to a high standard. So, these photos should give an idea of the work that should be performed if it is done properly. Go and check out that pro repairing your cars rust patches and be prepared. Forewarned is forearmed.

Anyway, heres a shot of the passenger side sill. Looks good?

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Well heres the same sill after a gentle prodding with a hammer

DSCF0015.jpg

Notice it has gone through all the way from halfway all the way back.

Here are a series of photos as the structure is cut out to discover the true extent of the rot.

Look carefully at the construction of the sill.

Heres the outer sill cut off. You can see how the sill front half goes inside the sill after halfway.

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

Here is the first inner sill cut out to reveal another inner sill. The far end just in front of the wheel has also has a small patch removed due to corrosion there and access to the last inner sill panel to check its integrity (which was good).

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

Tomorrow I will start to reconstruct it all after media blasting the surface rust first. Each panel that is welded in will be painted on the inner side first to give a reasonable rust protection on the inside. When it is welded in, the front bit will then be painted, before the next layer goes on. When it is all finished, dinitrol 3125 will be poured into the sill and sprayed in with a lance and then heated with a hot air gun so it it flows in and out of all the seams.

Interestingly if an attempt is made at rustproofing the sills, the probe will only go between 2 layers and will miss the other one. Consequent serious rusting occurs. A good size hole drilled in the end of the sill from under the rear wheelarch will enable all cavities to be seen and rust proofed. i will post this photo up over the next few days.

Any comments will be welcome.

No wonder these car suffer from bad rust!!
Drain holes MUST, MUST be kept clear or the end is nigh.

Andy.

And mine haha... Looking very good though, wish I had these skills, would save me a lot of money and my car would be in far better condition!

Good work there Andy! :thumbs:

I wish I had your skills, but welding is one of the few things I just cannot do! :(

But luckily, my sills are nice & intact. :D

Ha! Thanks guys.
I'm always willing to help anybody out if i can.
I have owned Nissans since 1982 (Datsun then?), and can't fault their reliability. Corrosion resistance? dreadful. I cant start to think how often I have welded these cars up. Thought i would have learnt by now...but no. I find it fascinating to discover the awful truth as to how far the dreaded tin worm has gone and then reconstruct everyting back. It always helps to have another vehicle available ( and a push bike). No need to rush these jobs-especially working outside.

Anyway, if anybody ever wants any advice, jus give me a shout. I am located off J29 of the M1 to give an idea of proximity to anybody who may want to call.

Andy.

PS Just want some good weather to spray now! Have to get my project car out of the garage!!!

let me be the first to put a thanks on this!

bit more extreme that i go i must admit!

but good to see someone else at least cuts back to the good stuff. annoys me to see people simply grind back to metal and weld a plate over the top!

top notch matey!

you seem to be like my grandad - which is what got me into doing my cars from an early age and to having my own little project car that sits in the garage - were even when your finished - you still aint lol. always something changes or new ideas new plans and you just never wanna take it out, but to carry on working on it!

gets you out of the house and away from the missus to relax and give to to be on your own! reason i love fixing cars, but the reason i hated being a mechanic, lost passion for my own cars by wrking on others day in day out.

take it by your viator thats your project?

get it up in the members cars section fella, i know i would be very interested at least!

Hi Quickdraw.
You are spot on! Working on my own car in peace-but not what the neighbours say when the air grinder and air saw starts!!

The van in my avatar is my 92 Chevrolet Astro that is heavily modified and just about to have air suspension installed. DIY of course. It has taken me 6 months to move the whole floorpan and chassis 6 inches further up so it will sit on the floor when it is parked.

The one in my garage however is my pet project. Our air ride 1986 Camaro. Custom built from the ground up and state of the art. I'll try and find some photo's and post 'em up.

Dont know how you coped being a mechanic. I get peed off working on my dads car! Cant imagine what awkward customers must be like.

Our camaro has been in the garage for 10 years undergoing its build, so I know exactly what you mean by constantly modifying and updating.

What do you do now as a job?

Andy.

Very nice work, im sure a lot of us wish we could do this (DIY) to our almeras.

Where are the sill drain holes exactly?
Im aware of the drain area behind the front wheel arches, are there others?

Hi Quickdraw.
You are spot on! Working on my own car in peace-but not what the neighbours say when the air grinder and air saw starts!!

The van in my avatar is my 92 Chevrolet Astro that is heavily modified and just about to have air suspension installed. DIY of course. It has taken me 6 months to move the whole floorpan and chassis 6 inches further up so it will sit on the floor when it is parked.

The one in my garage however is my pet project. Our air ride 1986 Camaro. Custom built from the ground up and state of the art. I'll try and find some photo's and post 'em up.

Dont know how you coped being a mechanic. I get peed off working on my dads car! Cant imagine what awkward customers must be like.

Our camaro has been in the garage for 10 years undergoing its build, so I know exactly what you mean by constantly modifying and updating.

What do you do now as a job?

Andy.

HAHA

i also have for my sins an IT degree that i dont actually use to much effect haha! - i simply go back to money money money all the time!

im a good with my mouth and am a mean salesman :p - so currently doint SEO (search engine optimisation) and website analytics - basically get peoples websites on page 1 Google :p
however on 12k basic :O - but its all about commission for me :) - generally earning my basic + in commission each month..

would love to see the camaro - so yeah defo get pistures! - had to rejig a corsa today! ( i know i should of just let it go the the scrap yard lol) - but basically un pick the full front panels and re spot the new on on complete with new wing bonnet head light etc after it had a front end collision!

its weird - i work every weekend on the cars, yet that is my way of relaxing, its crazy lol, but i just cant do NOTHING. i can never sit and relax.

i nearly put hydrolics on my micra at one point- to go air bag suspension, but then decided against it and stuck to coilovers

Very nice work, im sure a lot of us wish we could do this (DIY) to our almeras.

Where are the sill drain holes exactly?
Im aware of the drain area behind the front wheel arches, are there others?

Hi Dale.
There are 3 in each sill (at least!). One behind the front wheel arches (as you say), one in the centre of the sill length and one in front of the rear wheel arch. Sometimes hard to see.

Thanks for the compliments.
Andy.

HAHA

its weird - i work every weekend on the cars, yet that is my way of relaxing, its crazy lol, but i just cant do NOTHING. i can never sit and relax.

Photos of the camaro coming up.

Spookily the same as me! What does relax mean? I've heard of that before somewhere;) And sitting down? - don't make me laugh. I did that once,...late eighties I think.

What project cars have you got?

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

Ignore the front wheel on this photo!
DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

camaroenginebay.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0051-2.jpg

Oops! Too many photos! Sorry moderators.
Andy.

Okay. More Almera photos.
Not much progress today though! My 11 year old managed to beat me at go karting today:mad: Flaming heck he is fast. Another Lewis Hamilton.

Got to paint the drivers side sill though and managed to weld the rearmost patch up and strips into the inner sill area to get the structure and strength back. The gaps will enable me to get rustproofer through.

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

Rustproofing next while it is still open and then try to close it all off tomorrow after work.

Andy.

that camaro makes me want to touch myself!
the van is way to pimp my ride for my likings lol! but can appreciate the work gone into it!

wanting an old skool muscle car myself when i get my place sorted and stuff

currently working on putting a 2ltr turbo into a k10 micra - which has had pretty much everything sorted - complete strip down and rebuild plus the additionals, loads left though :p

christ! some skills going on here! underneath of the camaro is gleaming!! well done.

got me worried now, your almera looked in pretty good condition in comparison to mine, major bublling thats shoots water out when you squash the bubbles (like a spot) LOL

hey mans weet skills i live sloce to you dronfield.. i need my sills doing i might have to pop round and ask for some advice and dribble over your V8 some time :D

Back
Top Bottom