1st N15 engine mods

A while back I order’d a JPerformance 4 branch manifold and 2.75’ down pipe for my N15 GTi, brought it at the time when it was as a promotional offer. I won the auction win a bid of £105.00 inc vat + delivery = result. It came within 4 days, i fitted it yesterday morning outside my house which from start to finish took roughly 2hrs. I had to use the old gaskets as non came with the item (ask’d seller for them, howeva he weren’t interested after he had my money :( ) even tho they should have.

After installing it I took her for a quick run round to see the results. Very smooth engine pull together with a real good quality engine note at low revs. Engine feels more powerful along with feeling defiantly quicker through the gear too, should see decent gains over stnd engines’ bhp.

Here are some pictures sorry for the poor focusing;

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

DSCF1342.jpg

Whoever did the welding is one hell of a tigger lol ;)
DSCF1343.jpg

Before -
DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1355.jpg

After -
DSCF1357.jpg

Clean don’t you think
DSCF1356.jpg

Now that I had a clear idea of how the car sounded with the new manifold, I want’d a nice tailpipe to both look good and sound smart too. So during the test drive I went to Torqueflow to get a quote for a ss jap style back box. I told what I had just did and mentioned that I want’d a custom stainless steal back box that wasn’t too load howeva gave a good quality purrrrr above 4k rpm and it had to sit just right.

As I knew him from my lil bro the price was ment to be £180inc vat + the design of the tailpipe ie upto £30 on top. He did me a deal of £160 all in after a bit of haggle-ling lol, so I book’d it in with him for the very next day at @ 10am (only slot he had till the following wk) that didn’t stop me ring round to find a beater price, MJ Performance, Powerflow and Magnaflow UK all gave a dearer price.

The next day I got my friend to give me a lift back home as it would take 1.5 – 2hrs to fit and test etc.

Here are some more pics;

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

31012008006.jpg

31012008005.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

31012008013.jpg

DSCF1371.jpg

31012008012.jpg

Again noticed more gains compared with the stand Nissan back box on road test back home, all 4 miles of it leading to 1/4 of a tank lol the very loooong way round. Exhaust pops a wee bit at low revs too. Overall im pleased with the modifications, and now to look for a suitable air filter :rolleyes:

Would a replacement filter element or induction type system be better for all round engine performance and noise?

david

glad to see more people in birmingham :)

not bad for 160 my mate got his celica done from there I think with a 2.7" or a 3 inch straight thought + decat for about 270

That is one *big* downpipe.
Changing from the standard airbox will certainly make more of a noise, if that is what you`re after.
In terms of performance, lots of people prefer to go for a CAI, rather than just a cone filter breathing in warm air from the engine bay.

SirMixalot said:
That is one *big* downpipe.
Changing from the standard airbox will certainly make more of a noise, if that is what you`re after.
In terms of performance, lots of people prefer to go for a CAI, rather than just a cone filter breathing in warm air from the engine bay.
don't think you will notice that much the exhaust would be louder I think

and also CAI or a Induction kit with a heat sheld around it

i told myself i wrn't gunna start modding the almera lol.......... ah well

^ does anyone know of a company that does air filter elements for the almera gti?

david

mera red gti said:
from matey?

I just bought a K&N panel filter for my car. Got it from Demon Tweaks. Speak to our man Dave Featherstone for a quote, offering AOC discount.

only thing about a panel filter tho is the noise factor that you want,
wouldn't think a panel filter gives same noise as induction kit, altho gains are still good, better throttle response and freer revving

altho if the new exhaust is noisy an induction kit may be drowned out anyway?

Relevant stuff over in the N15 forum:

JClark said:
Induction kits don't add power. They add noise, and some more repsonse, but not power.

Panel filters add response and a teeny bit of power, but no more noise. My K&N panel filter added some nice response lower down the rev ranges.

Aftermarket airboxes like the BMC CDA seem to be quite good power wise, but on the downside they are quite expensive and apparantly you lose a few torques as a sacrifice, which in such a small engined car i wouldn't really want to lose...

ive order'd my new PiperX air filter element from autoimagination.co.uk, very well priced to i reckon. less than £38 posted. the website and products seem high spec, so hopefully it lands alryt.

david

Back
Top Bottom