Back in the Saddle... JDM style!

Time I posted up something about this.
This has been on the cards for a little while really ever since Sam posted up a FS thread. Here she is...

4483E52C-283E-454B-B6C1-75A23DBBB96F.jpg

Rob (FossilFuels) and I took the trip down to Bristol Saturday morning to pick this beauty up. Great smooth run down. We ate up the 140 odd miles in a little over 2 and a half hours in the Lexus. A minor mishap missing a junction on the M4 but we finally arrived at about midday. Sam was there with his new whip (very nice I may say) and his lovely big dog. Good to finally get to chat to the guy as I'd only really spoken to him on the forum and on Facebook before I went down. Nice guy and he knows his cars well. Shot the breeze for about an hour about the car, my engine build, his new car and various other projects. Signed the paperwork off, handed the man the cash and we were good to go. Got home on just under half a tank, so she was running well. Pulled lovely on the motorway and the SR18 is completely indistinguishable in the power department from the SR20 I had in my last two cars. The exhaust gave a good note and wasn't too loud so I wasn't deafened on the drive back.
She is parked up until I can get a refund on the tax for my Rover 25 and get this one taxed at the end of the week.
Plans are to run it pretty much as-is until the MOT runs out in October.
I may see to some of the worst rusty areas before then but I'm not that fussed at the minute.
There are a few minor issues, as you'd expect from a sub £500 car. The drivers top door hinge has worn and so it tends to drop the door when it's open. Just enough to make it clunky and hard to close. I'll either replace the hinge entirely or replace the pin. The other issue was a distinct lack of tuneage on the drive home. There are only so many songs I can sing of by heart and my throat was sore by the end of the M4.
I took the JDM Y0 surround out and had a look at what was lurking behind.
A9BB718D-D947-46F7-8872-9D479198D61B.jpg

Some lovely twist'n'tape action but I was just relieved that it had been converted to a standard aftermarket harness which made life a lot easier for me. I happened to have a Kenwood in stock from the box of crap I had left from stripping my old red Gti so in she went. I had to take the Gti brackets off and screw the stereo directly onto the double DIN frame. It whined but nothing lit up. I was racking my brain. Checked the fuses in the back of the head unit and in the car. Both fine. You can see on the picture above a little red wire dangling on the stereo side of the harness? That is what the problem was. Pushed that bad boy into the bullet connector and the old Kenwood lit up like a Christmas tree. Result. I had to dive back into the box-o-crap to scavenge some screws that were missing but that was fine in the end.
Hey Presto!
43B58202-68E8-4A1A-8339-494084340A4C.jpg

Could do with a surround but I'll leave that major job for another day.
Also observe the race clutch pedal. Extra 15bhp easy!
That's all for now but I'm sure I will succumb to the temptation to tamper along the way!

Love it :) good to see it still in the club. Now you have a car to put your engine in ;) haha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Good buy! Almost bought this few years back but import insurance was ££££

Good luck with the project... doubt will be standard for long!

Well.... finally insured this beut today!
I was having a lot of trouble getting insurance companies to give me a quote as the very mention of 'Pulsar' and they assume you have a fire-breathing, 4 wheel drive, turbo charged monster that you're going to smash into a tree.
Anyway on a recommendation from Sam (cheers mate) I gave Greenlight a ring. They ask lots of questions but they do a proper job in finding you the best deal for your needs. Couldn't tell you how refreshing it was to speak to people who are actually bothered if they are doing the right thing for you as a customer.
I arranged a lift down to the Farm where she has been sat for a couple of weeks. Got dropped off and went into the shed to grab the keys....

No. Keys.

:eek:

Racked my brain...nothing. So I checked under the wheel arches of the car, on the scuttle panel, behind the bench where I thought I'd left them, still nothing. Rang my mum; not at her house. Rang the Mrs; not at our house. Looked in my Rover; not in the Rover.
Came home and went through every coat pocket, every pair of jeans and still nada. Broke into the car to check the glove box for the spare; waste of time.
So I called the old man to have a look as he frequently moves thing that have nothing to do with him. After we'd ripped everything out of the shed and the my Dad looked in the Barn, I hear a shout "HEY... are these what you're looking for?" holding up the keys. I had put them in a small box with some stereo brackets and my cutting disks on my welding trolley. Don't ask why the hell I put them there because I don't know.
So after missing my afternoon outing I decided to give the old girl a going over. Had a little look at the front end and realised that there had been a little knock at some point. The bumper paint was crazed and it was hanging a bit low on the passenger side, the indicator bracket was also snapped and had been 'JDMed' with some cable ties.
Looking closer the slam panel was bent back and slightly twisted. So out come the tools and shortly after, the headlamp and indicator.
9BEA104F-AB74-4DAB-BBF6-5F4EEFC25B0A.jpg

You can just see where the half moon shape is on the bottom of the top panel it is a bit bent and you can see where it meets the upright headlamp panel it has a bit of a wave in it.

Close up of said area:
11A8E5A8-5864-417F-B00C-61F3795ECCD8.jpg

Not a massive kink but needed seeing to. I took of the radiator brackets, the bonnet stay clip and the wiring clips so I could get a block behind the panel. Few taps with a mallet cured the bend but still left a wave in the top so I dusted off the dolly and panel hammer to give her a dressing up. Good to see I can still do the job!
BDC6D6DB-65FF-4C64-9F0B-2FD651A8E789.jpg

You can also see where the crash can has been impacted and the kink in the middle of the bumper carrier. Luckily I happen to have a repair manual for the N15 so a got the tape measure out for a cross check.
B21153EF-7203-4541-BB0F-ACB37F804017.jpg

All measured up fine. Spot on actually which was nice to see.
Removed the bumper to get to the carrier and pull it forward. Dressed it all flat and refitted it all and I was a lot happier.
You can see the damage in this one:
AC0C614A-E19E-4B18-855B-354559DDFC7F.jpg

More jobs to do later on including a bit of welding and maybe redoing the front end, seeing to the top door hinge and generally tidying her up. After all the hassle I'm just looking forward to driving it around and enjoying SR18 Powaz!

Last edited:
Wow, I'd noticed the kink in the upper panel, that's been quite a bump though!

It's had a decent knock but it looks as though it's taken it all directly on that crash can because the tow eye is fine and that's directly underneath. The bumper would have forced the carrier back. The headlamp is a UK spec too as it has headlamp levelling. Nothing major really. I quite enjoyed stripping it all down in the end.

Reactions: Sam
Does the airbag light come on?
I only ask because i had a crash damaged Almera. They hadn't bothered fitting a new airbag, and just removed the bulb.

Does the airbag light come on?
I only ask because i had a crash damaged Almera. They hadn't bothered fitting a new airbag, and just removed the bulb.

No airbag light coming on but I haven't checked to see if it lights on ignition though so it could have been removed.

Another day on the spanners yesterday. Managed to get a space inside the barn whilst the farmer was out with his muck spreader so decided to get the driveshaft swapped. The CV joint was clicking near full lock and I happened to have a decent shaft from my old Gti.
First of all I separated the shaft from the old Gti 'box by just pulling it out of the cup. I didn't really want to get involved with gearbox seals and fluid so I took a punt that it was still good on the Pulsar.

Separated the outer CV from the replacement shaft. A lot easier when the whole shaft is out.

FB568AEC-A034-4781-9DC4-48061F609FD8.jpg

58F8DEBC-A2D9-43EA-B138-11F4BE029215.jpg

The CV boot had split when it was stripped off the old car so I poured a load of degreaser into the joint and let it sit for a while. That way I could be sure any water or other nasty bits of grit had been washed out before I re-packed the joint with fresh grease.
I happened to have a new boot in stock amongst the spare parts I've accrued over the last 5 or so years so that went on with new clips. The C-clip was being a bit of a bastard so after a call to Almera Technical Support (Rob) I hunted down a cable tie to keep it in place whilst I tapped the joint into position. Worked a treat!

43E849E2-D157-45C5-A86A-3EADE043E679.jpg

Once I had it all together I could then concentrate on removing the old one from the Pulsar.

Parked up on a nice solid floor out of the wind, it was like working in a proper garage again.

E5605B6E-0F10-42C1-9DF5-4A0E3F1FB2A1.jpg

I'm still debating whether or not to change the front end a little bit but looking at that photo I don't know if I can. I'll maybe try one of my Xenon lamps in sometime to see if it looks any good.

Anyway I removed these bits.

D7D584A4-907F-4A24-9A28-F0A9D48BFB3E.jpg

And this

6EB52B51-DE08-4F3D-ACF0-A25E7E4853A3.jpg

So I ended up with a nice clear space to work in.

D69B65F7-EE7F-4A60-B45D-AADE7AA003A2.jpg

I know it's not necessary to remove the suspension leg but it does clear a lot of space to get at the clip on the inner gaiter boot. You can see in that shot that I removed the splash guard section as well. The ball joint has a split gaiter and will need changing out soon so I'll pretty much have to do this whole job again in a week or two but at least I know now that it will all come apart.
The new shaft went in fine and I managed to use the new clip from the new CV boot on the inner cup and re-use an old Jubilee clip for the outer. I actually had the Jubilee on the inner one but then realised that the worm drive part would have smashed against the gearbox casing!

New (recycled) Part all fitted

26A10FED-65E0-47F3-81AC-3FA20BF31456.jpg

After all that lot was tight then I put the wheel back on, without the centre cap, to do the hub nut. I used one spare hub nut to knock the CV joint in on the new shaft so that was buggered and the one that came off this car had been nut-gunned on at some point which had stretched the threads so that was a no-go as well. A few minutes searching through my old Gti bits and I found another 2 spares so that saved my bacon.
All road tested now and no more clicking so I would call it a successful day!

Next to do is the drivers door hinge and the ball joints, so the story continues....

He was quite helpful actually. Suggested a Jubilee clip or cable tie. He did the last lot I had to do as well.
Anyway it's metallic blue now not Orange. ;)
Calipers and wheel nuts and centre caps and nuts and bolts and likiwid art and rocker cover and cable ties and my fucking balls blud!

This little beauty went to its new home this morning. Living on in parts in a C10 Cherry.
Rust in Pieces.

Back
Top Bottom