Craigs New Datsun Sunny

yeh thats it dave shorter stroke too apparently

end of the day its a street car, it won't sit at high rpn for prolonged periods, it'll have a low temp thermostat, oil cooler, maybe even a dash switch for one of my rad fans in case it ever gets hot lol.

i've got a scored bore old almera block in the shed, maybe i'll take the grinder to it and find out the exact sleeve thickness

I thought they were limited to a 2 litre capacity?

If that was the case, were they using a crankshaft with an 82mm stroke?

no the crank rods i have are 86mm aswell, both blocks i have are 88mm bore. (one includes a set of 88mm omega pistons)

rule book stated 2000cc, but who goes by the rules???

its not to say they didnt start out at 86 x 86 for 1998cc, but they finished at 86 x 88!

yeh the more i'm lookin at it with gti spoiler, the more i'm liking it.

the ph1 bumper with oval fogs will be on soon too.

k-kustoms paint is lookin fucking shite now too, might redo it myself, satin white with rattle cans. I could do it pissed in the dark and it'd look better tbh

Reactions: IT
is the header you looking @ even tested? id slap sam's header on and be happy saving $$$ for setup. did magic for my bolt on 6950rpm DE lol shame bout that piant job pal

is the header you looking @ even tested? id slap sam's header on and be happy saving $$$ for setup. did magic for my bolt on 6950rpm DE lol shame bout that piant job pal

its not tested loads as such, but i'm very happy with the design of it and am more than up for trying new things like the 88mm which is pretty untested too.

don't get anywhere sticking to the safe bets though - like using xylene which i had no knowledge of before. Its stupid of me to have used the car without it - but the fact that without it you can hear the det shows the gallon of xylene per tank was doing a great job of boosting octane. Ok my sillyness cost me a cracked ring but i've learnt from it.

aw yeh i know what you mean like pet, but i just love a big tail on my tight arse

repulsive little stud

hmm i really love it white - from 2metres away the car looks sex. just a shame about close up.

might do it satin white in summer - or try a roll-on paint job using that rustoleum stuff :lol:

cheers babezzz, don't need to be though. well maybe a little lol

my silly paint thinners idea bit me on the arse but i've learnt more having built and used/had mapped that first engine than any amount of reading on the internet and forum armchair expert chit chat :lol: hopefully i can use it to good effect this time :)

if not then i guess i'll have learnt that 88mm don't work anyways :tongue:

ooh never saw those posts....it may or may not be coming in 88mm form due to time limits on goin to work abroad and stuff...not much point building a new engine only to piss off soon....and mess up the ve head in the process so it can only be fitted to a gtir block. So....54c block and 88mm pistons probably up for sale shortly.....

In other news.....the engine with the fucked ring on cylinder 4, with the low compression of 190psi and 290 on a wet test.....looks fine :/

here's the bores
P6060115.jpg

P6060116.jpg

heres the piston, ringlands looking perfect, some skirt wear on the intake side - some expert tell me if it's excessive
P6060121.jpg

P6060122.jpg

top of piston with weird looking combustion swirl pattern
P6060123.jpg

rod bearing looking mint
P6060126.jpg

all the rings all in one piece
P6060120.jpg

and the cosworth head gasket, with what seems like the black coating coming off between the cylinders 3 and 4
P6060128.jpg

P6060127.jpg

P6060129.jpg

So errr yeh, i'll have a good look at the head and see if there's any valve issues, but i don't see how a wet compression test would have fixed that?!

Hopefully ask Dale nicely if he'll give my head a bit of a port and clean up, as well as re-lap my valves and bits n bobs - hopefully it'll just be a case of bolting it all back together after sorting the head, with a new gasket, the new header and a nistune map. Then enjoy 200whp+ for the summer and then sell it :)

any thoughts/input on the low compression and state of the parts appreciated please, but i am glad in a way its nothing really.....not such a fisher price build eh bitches :tongue:

Just had a thought too...me n joe shimmed the head at xmas, could we have left a valve open a tad with too big a shim and somehow the oil was sealing it on the wet test?!

i could have bet that there was nothing wrong mate!

... you know its fate that you update on page 88, that you are cancelling the 88mm build lol

Steve

Back
Top Bottom