craiGTi's ph2 GTi

Well after owning it for 2 years now, i've finally got round to starting a thread for it!:rolleyes:

Before the mera i had a sunny GTi and loved it. Unfortunately it starting dying of rust too much so i got rid. The natural thing seemed to be a mera so i searched high and low. It had to be ph2, blue and as low mileage as poss. I found this in dumbarton - north of glasgow - about 400 miles away! Luckily dad was gonna be near there with work so he went and looked at it for me. With the thumbs up, i got a flight from east midlands to collect it drove it home. Awesome!:D

It was completely standard with 67k on the clock, first things i did was fit my OZ super t's, and remove bump strips...
Image107.jpg

It stayed like this for about 9 months while i was at uni, then came the summer and i had a bit of money - K and N and ssac header.

Still loved the car but main thing annoying me was ride height, so i got in on coilover GB, in the mean time i changed the OZ rims for some Rota grids. Handling is now amazing...
Image130.jpg

Unfortunately, just after fitting coily's, i noticed blue smoke and coked exhaust - oil consumption went through the roof! Tried everything but it came down to rings and not cheap to sort.
Found a low mileage p11 primera engine for £250 and had it fitted for £200, not bad i thought. While they were at it, the air con system was totally left out, save a bit of weight!;)

Few little cosmetic and performance here and there and here it is today, vzr grill, rims stripped to silver, de-wipered, light surround colour coded, handles coded etc...
mera0022jpg.jpg
mera0032jpg.jpg

mera0052jpg.jpg
mera0062jpg.jpg

mera0082jpg.jpg
mera0142jpg.jpg

mera0192jpg.jpg
mera0212jpg.jpg

Spec:
P11 primera GT engine
air con removed
K and N induction kit
SSAC header
custom heat sheild and cold air feed. - i say custom - home made!!
Daiyama 2nd gen coilovers
16" Rota grids
fidanza short shifter.

Future:
would love flywheel, clutch, possibly cams, vzr rear lights, possibly OZ superleggera's. But money won't permit and priority first is to sort rust which is starting to bubble on 2 arches and slightly on rear inner wing.

Other than that i still love driving it, oh and one day, respray in pearl white/metallic ivory colour!:D

EDIT, 23/05/2009.

Updated spec list:

Engine:
air con removed
HKS induction kit
Cold air feed
SSAC 2.5" manifold and downpipe
Mongoose GTi-R decat pipe
MIJ custom 2.5" mandrel bent catback system
JWT S3R cams
JWT adjustable cam sprockets - inlet advanced 2.5'
Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator
G-spec lightweight underdrive crank and water pump pulleys.

also some weight loss happened, but more to come! :cool:

finally pics to see :D car is looking shit hot! well done! want mine to look like this in black!

great write up fella, loving the pics too. maybe just need to pop some fogs in & GTi b-post badges. i'd like to chuck my A/C too, car drives well funny/weird with it switch on sometimes.

david

cheers for the comments lads, no keen on the GTi badges but i keep thinkin about puttin my fogs back in, but cold air feed goes to foglight hole so i'm unsure.

i am really happy but on closer inspection it could do with a bit of tlc. Like i said arch rust needs sorting before it starts properly and the front bumper could really do with resprayin, stone chips a plenty!

Also, next obvious thing would be exhaust, but i don't want anything v loud, not much louder than standard, so probably need a custom one.

Another thing i'm not sure about is some of o-dog's vzr skirts, what you reckon?

vzr skirts yes yes yes!

Love the look of your grids mate, stripping them back did wonders as I preffer your matt silver look rather than my shinny polished rim. I wonder if a bit of wet and dry on my rims would create the same look? :D

The blue really comes out in your pics, and I've got to say the p2 blue gti looks best imo... however pearl white would be truely awesome :thumb:

cheers guys

@edk - yeah i love the look of the grids now, was never too sure on just bronze but with the lip silver i love em:D Only trouble is keeping them clean, i tried lacquering the bare metal, but didn't seem to last, sometimes to get totally clean i have to use wheel cleaner and fine wet n dry paper!:eek:

So, yeah -maybe try it mate;)

i'd definitely love some vzr skirts, but with money tight next wanna try some weight loss. Already saved some with wheels, coilys and A/C system, but i'll have a look at Rowdy's thread. Sound deadening next, where's the hairdryer?!:)

Really nice, looks like you keep it very clean. And what a difference from when you bought it.

Have you waxed the wheels after a clean? That would help when coming to clean them next time round.

no, i'll give it a try cheers mate. it's weird - like almost a kind of pitted thing, little, stubborn black spots or marks. what's your polished lip like to keep clean?

yeah cheers kurt, loads better than when i bought it, just about happy - for now!

Easy as hell. I use autoglym's wheels cleaner and protector which makes it even easier. spray the cleaner on for 30 sec and no more, quick brush around with the wheel brush, then hose it off. Done.

Well after starting this thread a couple of days ago, i mentioned that i'd like to start saving some weight. However, getting rid of the windows was not what i had in mind when some complete cunt threw a brick through my passenger window last night!!!!!!!:mad::hand::evil::angry::angry::asshole::grrr::angry::evil::hand:

PA200349.jpg

Wot u reckon?? looks good don't it?!!

Almost even more annoying is the thick wankers only did it on the off chance that there was something in the glove box, which there was - a cd!!

Didn't try to nick stereo, didn't try to nick car, didn't even unlock door! At least no damage other than window was done, just so annoying cos i never normally have my car at uni, but had it there for a couple of days this week.:mad: Bastards.

Got some funny looks driving home too, with my head out the sunroof to see properly at junctions!

How easy/hard is changing window if i can find one?
Cheers lads

AH WHAT!? Gits. Sorry to see that :( Hope it's an easy one to sort out for you.

Back
Top Bottom