Door Rust

Dale

Staff member
So i spent the day attacking the annoying rust on my drivers door:

The rust was going under the trim so i had to take a few parts off to gain access.

O/S Door Card
O/S Door Mirror
O/S Window Trim

To remove the door card you need to undo ALL the visable screws, and you need to carefully lift/prise the front of the window switch panel and unclip it and then disconnect the plug.
You also need to carefully unclip and remove the door handle surround trim to give clearance to remove the door card.

PA220179.jpg

Pictures of the Rust in question
PA220177.jpg

PA220178.jpg

So i proceeded to clean it up, removing bubbled loose paint and then treating the metal.

Attack of the Rust Eater Gel
PA220183.jpg

Once i was happy with it, the gel was cleaned off, then i primed the metal with Hammerite rust beater and left that for a few hours, and then top coated to finish off.

Heres how we finished up once complete: (I had to stretch the window seal out of the way to work on that area, the clamp is holding the rubber window seal in position while the adhesive dries)
PA220184.jpg

Its not a perfectly blended finish, but its much better than an eyesore of rust.

Also, in process of doing this, ive managed to fluke getting my remote central locking working again:lol:
Previously, when i tried to lock it using the remote, it would lock then straight away unlock itself on my drivers door.
Now it works perfect.

rust eater gel dripping on to the door actuator ftw then lol

great work on the door fella, all your door shuts look well tidy. imo id gloss black the b-post tho to aid the moody look of the beast.

dd

Back
Top Bottom