Ga16de cylinder head

Dale

Staff member
I have the opportunity to purchase a ga16 head from a primera, the guy thinks it needs a rebuild though as the car was smoking upon startup.

Couple of Q's..

How much roughly should i be expecting to pay? A price has already been agreed - just interested to see your oppinions.
How much is it for new valve stem oil seals?
Is it possible to swap the stem seals from my 1.4 on the 1.6 head?
Will the 1.4 cams fit into the 1.6 head?

The plan is to attempt some light porting and polishing DIY stylee on this 1.6 head and then put in on the 1.4 while im carrying out the turbo conversion.

thanks in advance

Ok, Ignore the questions about the fitment etc just interested in price estimations for the head and for new stem oil seals.

I have agreed to pay £35 for the head.

Also, If anyone is intersted, the rest of the engine and gearbox is for sale from this primera 1.6 SRi. Let me know if anythings wanted and i'll see if i can get it for you.

35 for the head is a chuffing bargain id say!

was about to say 1.4 cams are slightly smaller, very slightly.

How many miles has teh primera engine done?

Yeah i thought about the cam sizes after i wrote the first post. Just the exhaust cam profile isnt it?

Engine has done110K ish, so quite a few.
The guy has just put in SR20 in his primera.
As mentioned, it was smoking a bit on start up and a bit tappety like, it did quieten down and stopped smoking when warm.

I veiw it as an engine spares sort of thing. Theres loads of stuff i want tbh but havent got the space to store them.
If anyone is interested though, i will start a 'for sale' thread.

cheers for the link cov racer, at least it gives me an idea of the price.
Will try my local motor spares to get hold of the seals i think, just wanted an idea of the price.
thanks

I came across that website while googling and thought id struck gold lol

are you getting the inlet manifold with the head?

Yeah mate, it is good find, ive already stuck it in my favourites folder!

Its not been arranged for me to take the inlet manifold aswell, as i presumed its exactly the same as the 1.4 one. However, if it turns out its different im sure i would take it off him for a few extra quid!
Im tempted anyway, just so i could have a go at polishing it up so it flows a bit better than standard. Same goes for the TB, i would like to attempt polishing and modifying the butterfly slightly for better airflow.

Dont let me stop you though if these are things youre after.
The items will go to the highest bid at the end of the day.

if your diying the head i wouldnt smooth and polish the inlet ports, leave them rough, helps swirls the mix up.

thanks, will look into this i think. Not sure how forced induction affects the mixing ability, though i presume that it would improve it.
I plan on just mildly porting and removing (reshaping) any harsh sharp angles etc, nothing major. Might attempt smoothing and reshaping the combustion chamber if it seems do-able and appropriate.Going to focus on the exhaust ports mainly as this is the poor flowing side apparently.

if you go on sentra.net theres a fair bit of info about the GA head and i think on that site they said larger SR20 valves can be cut and ground in. Also i believe the later GA16 heads flowed better, straighter ports etc.

I cant get on that site bud? says under construction?
Ive read a lot of the stuff by Mike Kojima though and the article about headwork and engine tuning etc.
I read that later 1.6's (1995 onwards, i think) have a slightly more agressive camshafts designed for more BHP, the earlier ones were better for torque. A 3-5bhp gain by swapping to the newer type..dunno about the flow of the ports though..
This head is coming from a L or N plate i think. Older shape like..p10 is it??

cheers 24seven, thats the plan..The head isnt being fitted 'before' im turbo'd, sorry if i was unclear.

The car will be off the road for a few days (hopefully sometime soon!!) whilst i bolt the turbo, intercooler etc up, so i figured i should 'attempt' to put the 1.6 head on at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom