Got the coilovers!!

rowdy-GTi

Staff member
Got the coilovers in the post today, and they look well sexy. I`m off tomorrow so will have a bash at fitting `em. They look very well made.

Here`s some pics anyway. The front strut requires the original top mount ( bit with 3 studs that poke up into engine bay ) to be transfered across. The rear is a direct fit. The one pic shows the height adjustment of the rear and notice the little knob that adjusts the dampening ( stiffness ). This can be changed with the strut on the car.

Attachments

• coil 001.jpg
    coil 001.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 147
  • coil 002.jpg
    coil 002.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 80
  • coil 003.jpg
    coil 003.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 64
  • coil 004.jpg
    coil 004.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 65
  • coil 005.jpg
    coil 005.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 68
rowdy-GTi said:
I`m going to coat the threads with copper grease.
Good idea, the threads on my D2s are teflon coated but they were still a PITA to dismantle after a year on the car...

Mark its probably a dumb ass question but does moving the lower spring seat up the thread make any difference?.....to the spring rate maybe?

Your's adjust exactly the same as mine m8. Don't preload the springs, they are linear rate so it won't alter the rate. It'll just cause the dampers to be under spring pressure when fully extended

Here's the adjustment leaflet from D2.

sparki said:
rowdy-GTi,... any chance you'd be looking at getting rid of your lower phase 2 springs ?

sorry mate I`m keeping the current set-up as a winter and non-track use set.

The rear shocks are on. I had no trouble fitting `em and they certainly go very low! I put them 1cm from the lowest setting and it was much to low for my taste. They are now on the highest setting, but still the car sits about 1" lower!

Pics to follow.

markbuts3 said:
Your's adjust exactly the same as mine m8. Don't preload the springs, they are linear rate so it won't alter the rate. It'll just cause the dampers to be under spring pressure when fully extended

Here's the adjustment leaflet from D2.

those instructions for that say you should adjust the bottom piece to adjust height that means you have to remove it everytime you wanna adjuat it??? do you do it that way or using the spring???

You lucky b@:}+*^d!!!!! lol
So the rear sits 1" lower on the highest height?
How low was it when u put it near to the lowest setting?

You gotta show me your car when im up in derby next!!!!

ok the wait is over!................drum roll please.......................... ;)

Got the suspension fitted today. All went to plan apart from a few small issues which i`ll pass on to Gary.

Originally my car was lowered approx 3cm at the front & 2.5cm at the rear.

From the top of the arch to the ground:

Front was 65cm.

coil006.jpg

Rear was 64cm.

coil007.jpg

These babies really do LOWER the car ALOT.

I did the rear first and set the shock to 1cm from the lowest setting here`s the outcome....................the measurment was now 57cm, it had lowered 7cm with 1cm to go!

coil008.jpg

I didn`t buy these to go massively low so i ended up putting them on the HIGHEST setting which still gave me a 4cm drop! Here`s the overall result, so bare in mind you can still go 4-5cms lower than this............

coil015.jpg

Just been out for a few miles and the ride is quite good, certainly not harsh, no clunking........giving a surprisingly quiet ride. I put the dampening setting on no.6 out of approx 30 on all four, but this will be increased as the dampers settle in, and i`ll probably put more in the rear.

The handling is very good and best described as firm.

So these will lower a standard car 7-8cm even on the highest setting. A good lowering spring set may do this but you would end up with about 1" rear suspension travel and 1.5" travel at the front. These coilovers dont loose any piston travel when lowered.......so maintain a good ride and handling ie no bottoming out, bump steer, understeer etc. The limiting factor may be the exhaust pipe hitting the rear axle as the gap it goes through is obviously smaller on a lowered car and the camber will be way out if you go really low which will eat your tyres. B14 Tein camber plates would sort this out.

I`ve took more pics of the installation and will do a `how to` when needed.

:eek: Thats low looks well sweet.One issue is that my car already scrapes comin out my driveway and in car parks, speed bumps etc therefore would be impossible to have coilovers.

Its not the exhaust its the splitter. Got any other finished pics eg of the front?

From the group buy mate. We need 2 more to join. £570 delivered.

Seems expensive,but not in the long run as you may buy some lowering springs and then aren`t satified with `em so get coilovers............ thats expensive!

Back
Top Bottom