headlight keeps blowing out

hey guys, I own an almera GTI 1999. The left headlamp fuse keeps blowing out. I tried replacing it but everytime i insert a new fuse little sparks come out. Has anyone encounter this issue and how did you fix it?
thanks for any input in advance

happy holidays

I'd check all wires and connectors from the lamp back to the fusebox, chances are that there is water intrusion in one of the connectors or the wire has been damaged and is shorting itself to ground.

Does the fuse blow instantly when you put it in or does it blow after a random amount of time and driving?

No, the fuse doesn't blow instantly when I put it in. It sort of sparks a little when putting it in and still would not work. I have disconnected the headlamp bulb to see if it's the bulb at fault but the fuse still sparks when putting it in so I guess it's not the bulb connector, right?

By the way, the other headlamp light works fine. Would you advise I open up the fuse box casing and try fixing it?

It wont be an issue inside the fuse box. More likely the connector into the main headlamp bulb is corroded/faulty.

ok, i'll take a look at the connector...hopefully that's the issue and I can fix it. I'll report back;)
thanks for the input guys

You can get replacement plug and loom from eBay. It's a common fault. I've had to rewire both mine because it burnt out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I spent a good 40 minutes just now hoping I would fix the issue but nothing. I took a look at the connector of the headlamp bulb and it doesnt appear burnt out or cables chaffed. I used a voltimeter to test the fuse socket of the connector headland and around 13v is passing thru it (i blew another fuse too)

I've just bought a new replacement connector plug (thanks for suggestion tallpaul) from ebay (about £2 for a pair). I hope the plug is the issue so it's a simple fix but i'm not sure.

So, thinking ahead...Im thinking at the moment what other issue could be at play if it turns out it's not the connector plug..what other ideas do you guys have? thanks

thanks for more input guys. Keep them coming.

@Rob-Gti: Ok, i'll try cleaning it tomorrow, though im only aware of one earth point in the engine bay. what others do you mean?

@supraslayer: Yes i tried a new bulb and nothing

Also, any ideas where I can get a wiring diagram for my car? I'm really determined to fix this myself..don't really fancy taking my baby to the auto electrician, if you know what i mean;)

okay, so i replaced the connector plug loom and got the headlight working but then disaster:confused:....The fuse is not blowing anymore but then, after 5 minutes the headlight stopped working again. I checked the fuse and it's fine so now im again scratching my head.o_O

id be looking more at the grounding points now then locate any around the light areas and whip out a socket and some sandpaper

Run a length of wire directly from the negative on the bulb holder to the negative battery terminal. If it works when perfectly earthed then it's an earthing issue.

ok, thanks for the input. im getting a new bulb too just to rule that out.

As far as troubleshooting an earthing issue..im still a little confused and cant get my mind around it...you say to
run a length of wire directly from the negative on the bulb holder to the negative battery terminal.
Do I do this with the bulb holder connected?

Is there any video out there showing how this is done?

I tried a new bulb but nothing and earthing seems fine. Me thinks i need to replace the wiring. any ideas where i can get new wiring ?

Back
Top Bottom