Imminent VZR flood?

Ok not too sure on this but here me out.......

My research has found "cars over 10 years old only need to pass an MOT after being modified for use in this country to be legally registered with the DVLA"

The almera/JDM pulsar (N15 shape) model started to be release in March(?) 1996, i.e. 10 years ago.

Up to this point, imports have been restricted as cars under 10 years old require the enhanced SVA and model report.

Does this mean we are going to see a flood of VZR's?
(That is if there is a demand)

i think the first problem is going to be importers wanting demand for the cars before they import them, when they import an impreza etc they can be pretty sure they will sell fairly quick so thats not a problem to them but with the vzr its fairly unknown so to start with it will probably be personal imports only.

be nice to see a few coming over here, should be an insurance bargain aswell as i remember reading somewere that they are insured as 1.6 import almeras, basically there insured as the top spec uk 1.6 (sri) plus a bit because its an import

check the auctions not that many vzr's go through..there wasnt that many made...always had the ek9 ctr over shadowing it.(n1 is much rarer).and the sir which had only 5bhp less and argueably better gearing and build quailty was cheaper...majority were made in 98 anyway so be another year before the flood starts if it happens at all...probably half of them are already in ireland and new zealand!!

TallPaul86 said:
Checked out the USS Auto Auction site and there is NONE at all there

Looks like i'll defo be making a trip to Ireland :p

if you wait till feb you can have mine..Chawike is selling his at the moment..its a 99..spotless like new one of the cleanest ive seen

dagnut said:
if you wait till feb you can have mine

Special AOC price? LoL jk

I've never seen pics of your car bud - fancy posting them up?
I hear nothing but praise for Chawkie's VZR condition... So im sure it will be a mint example and that will reflect in the price too :(

I dont know i'll just play it by ear

TallPaul86 said:
Special AOC price? LoL jk

I've never seen pics of your car bud - fancy posting them up?
I hear nothing but praise for Chawkie's VZR condition... So im sure it will be a mint example and that will reflect in the price too :(

I dont know i'll just play it by ear
same as chawkie's but its lower on full nismo suspension..il get pics up some day just have to take some first!..im more into go than show to be honest..has an apexi rsm,(this removes the jdm speed restrictor) nismo exhaust, 8lb fidanza flywheel, de cat and nismo short shifter..few cosmetics Razo carbon fiber pedals and momo gear knob...its 00 but dont know if you'll have a problem clearing that? any way if your interested it will be for sale in Feb..its had 4 oil changes in 11k miles

Chawkie took me for a quick blast in his at JAE, mint car. You can feel the VVL in first but in the other gears it not that noticeable.

Might be just me but it didnt feel as fast as my GTi, even when it was standard.

N15's came out in 1995, but the VZ-R's (which go by chassis JN15) first came out in the N15 facelift year of 1997

I'd love to see more VZ-R's as I've not seen one in the metal yet! I'd love to own one though!

Hally said:
Chawkie took me for a quick blast in his at JAE, mint car. You can feel the VVL in first but in the other gears it not that noticeable.

Might be just me but it didnt feel as fast as my GTi, even when it was standard.

they are faster than a standard gti you just have to ring the neck out of um..very little torque down low..his car dyno'd at 142++whp or there abouts( not sure)..the standard gti only makes that at the fly

dagnut said:
they are faster than a standard gti you just have to ring the neck out of um..very little torque down low..his car dyno'd at 142++whp or there abouts( not sure)..the standard gti only makes that at the fly

This is true, but his torque was only 117, which is why it probably felt slower. I would like to see a race side-by-side standard cars. Would be interesting.

Hally said:
This is true, but his torque was only 117, which is why it probably felt slower. I would like to see a race side-by-side standard cars. Would be interesting.

To be fair to the car, there were 3 people in it and a boot full of tents etc... so it actually was a bit deader than normal. A gti with the same load in it would have had the same effect due to torque!

Personally i don't think there will be a flood into the UK market, they won't be able to match the price of a similar year GTi due to the cost of import etc. And with the difference in torque, the VZR won't be to the liking of most people. I would love a Gti if i could insure one reasonably! Lack of torque in the VZ-R gets painful at times. On our trip to JAE, we'd be travelling at maybe 70ish and if we had a slope in the road, 4th would be needed to accelerate at all! That was with 3 people and a boat full of clothes as said above!

Don't fancy the idea of Turbo'ing the car due to the high compression. Turbos suit low compression cars better, or so I believe! Think a SR20 bottom end might add nicely to the torque! Maybe in the next VZ-R!! ;)

oh yeah, forgot it had all your stuff in it! Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it isnt fast or not faster than a GTi. It just didnt feel like it.

You're right though it didn't feel fast at all. Just goes to show that on the road there prob isn't a whole pile of difference between the cars! :)

Back
Top Bottom