Leaking Petrol, i think!

Hi All,

Right, recently i had my rear shockers replaced and the car was great for a few weeks. Then i decided to see how many miles i could get out of a full tank of fuel. So i filled it up to the point where it starts clicking (about £37 worth) and off i went. Only got about 180 miles to the tank :eek: and a rattling has now appeared to the rear passenger side.

I thought it may be a problem with the New shockers. So after a few days of getting annoyed i check the shockers and they seems ok. Stripped the boot out and it was still happening.

When i turn the ignition on i can hear a fuzzing sound From under the rear seat. Also, looked underneath the back of the car and it looks like something (petrol?) is leaking slowly (as no puddles on ground) from inbetween the fillup nozzle and the tank (about in the middle of them).

What do i need to check? How can i access this pipe? Could it be this that is rattling.

Any advice welcome as this could be very dangerous :eek: i think. :confused:

Cheers,

Chris

the fuel pump is under the back seat so it must be getting out somewhere around there?

not entirely sure about that, ive not taken mine apart but im sure one of the more familiar members will help you out better than me lol.

thanks anyways. If some one else knows for defo then could you let me know as have got time to look at it tonight when i get home

It`s nothing to do with the fuel pump. It`s its leaking fuel you`ll get a strong smell from around the car. The pump normally makes some funny noises.

i can't smell petrol inside the car.

The rattle is something like metal clanging on metal.

They is defenately something leaking as the underneath is damp on the petrol cap side of the car. Slight smell of petrol when i touched it. Is the pipe which goes from the petrol cap to the petrol tank metal? and could it be this that is broke? as the rattle stop a day before filling up and started again afterwards. Could it be leaking ONLY when i fill up?

A local garage fitted the shocks.

maybe something got damaged when they fitted the shock on that side......take it back 4 them 2 have a look.

I'm sure the pipe that goes from the cap to the tank is metal, if you take the rear wheel off its behind a plastic moulding so it's pretty easy to check, if the garage have broken it though the garage should fix it!

Back
Top Bottom