My Custom Grill Project

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

So i seen an almera a few weeks ago with the grill between the headlights meshed up, instead of the black diamond shape plastic and thought. "hmm that looks ube cool"

So goes to the scrapper's yesterday and picks up a grill really cheap and decided id have a go at chopping it myself.

So i started off with the grill as stated and gave it a damn good clean down, then set to work with a hack saw blade.

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

So having cut out the plastic i had made a bit of a mess with the actual painted plastic so there goes my idea of not having to repaint it. off to work with a file, loads of sand paper and some filler. this is what it looked like at this point

DSC00469.jpg

sanded it down and keyed it ready for primer. unfortunately i only had beige, so thats what i used.

DSC00470.jpg

once the primer dried, keyed it down and prepped it for the first coat of paint. which i had got custom mixed the other day at an extortionate rate, so if anyone has any source for car paint let me know. but anyway i sprayed two coats on and this is what i came up with

DSC00472.jpg

next job was to clean up any imperfections in the paint. which didn't take me too long considering.

Thats where i am at so far. i think I've done reasonably well considering this is the first thing I've done like this.

Next stage is to lacquer it and fit mesh to it, but I've just this minute ordered the mesh so thats gonna be next week now.

Let me know what you think. and be honest.

I think it will too. my dad keeps moaning that it'll look crap. but he moans at whatever i do to the car so blagh

for a first attempt its fucking top notch, ive wrecked about 2 or 3 grilles so far doing things like this, i dont think i have the patience or the fumes go to my head and i just fuck it up.

Re: fumes to head

yeah on this project i found out that when it says "use in well ventilated area" it bloody means it.

a garage with 4 air bricks apparently doesn't constitute well ventilated

I plan to finish perfecting the paint tonight and lacquer it.

Go for it man, i bet theres a few people out there like me that see a cool looking modified one and want one of them. so im pretty sure there's a market

The grill looks cool man, im stuck in a bad situation finding a grill for my ph1 gti... I was thinking about something like a VZR grill but i dont want the car lookin like a replica or anytin..... anyone got ant ideas.

Good luck with the grill by the way, should look sweet when its finished!!!

Update time.

Since the first day of workin on this i spent a good few hours rubbing down and perfecting the paint before lacquering it. now the laqcuer doesn't look as good as it could but im happy with the finish.

Got my mesh yesterday and got stuck into cutting and shaping it. and bugger me does it hurt.

So after trimming it down and bending some form of reinforcement into it and painting it in gloss black i came up with this.

Mesh.jpg

Hung up to dry overnight. came home from work and got stuck into fixing it to the actual grill.

after a lot of swearing and use of cable ties to hold it on while the glue set My custom grill was almost ready. all that was left was to stick on the nissan badge. good old trusty silicoln sealant.

Finished article below

Grille.jpg

So let me know what you think of this.

Also i know i probably spelt it Grill instead of grille the whole time... can't be bodied to change it.

It does look really well. You did a really good job, first time you say??? Love the AOC sticker, the one I got was just the text :(

yeah this is my first cosmetic mod. i've never done any filling or painting before so it was really a hope it works excercise and yeah i like the sticker. i wasn't sure about putting it there but now that its on i love it

Back
Top Bottom