N15 1.4 Manual Transmission Oil?

Howdy,

I have a 99 Nissan almera 1.4 GA14DE. Think it might be S...? It's a 4 door saloon.

I have to do a cv joint replacement over the weekend. Will have to drain out any oil in the gear box.

I'm massively confused about it, is there a special transmission oil for the manual gearbox. i've searched on google and all i can find is reference to Automatic Trans oil.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as just topping up with Engine oil is it? (because if i do that and it's wrong, i'll really screw up the car).

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers Lads!

Outer cv?

Short sharp tap with a copper mallet should see the cv pop off the shaft, leaving the inner still in the gearbox.

Outer cv?

Short sharp tap with a copper mallet should see the cv pop off the shaft, leaving the inner still in the gearbox.

Oh right, okay, figured it would just be easier to work on if i took the whole shaft out. But will try this first, thanks.

Argh why are so many people with fuck all knowledge workijg n their cars. You don't even need to take the driveshaft out to change the cv.

How else are you supposed to learn about a car? Obviously you come from some parallel universe where you're born with a massive reserve of car knowledge, without ever opening one up :p

i unfortunately do not. I have to subsist on asking questions of people who know more than me, and trial and error, and reading up on problems/parts. :)

It's quite easy to work on it in situ but unbolt the suspension strut from the knuckle in order to remove cv joint from the hub and give yourself some working room.

Try hold the cv in line to the shaft as you strike it with the mallet also

if you do want to change the fluid, specific oils for the transmission are available; these are known as mtf's (manual transmision fluids) and gl4 oils at 75-90 weight should be used in nissan gearboxes. Redline mt 90 (what I use) and motul gear see good reviews, although there are many cheaper ones available as well depending on how flush you are feeling. On the sr20de engined cars (I would hope it would be much the same process for your car), there is a drain plug (the lower plug) and the also a a fill plug . Once the old fluid is drained from the drain plug, you put the drain plug back, tighten it up and then fill the gearbox through the fill plug until fluid begins to come out at the fill plug (or you can find out what the specific capacity for the gearbox is). Job done

If you go to wilkos,you can get the required oil for £3.50p per liter,its also the comma brand,which is good stuff and cheap.

No word of a lie,its very good,i did a gearbox oil change about a year and a half ago,i have to drain the gearbox oil again due to another job a short while ago,its as clean as the day i put it !!!

I am not saying its the best,but for the price,it is excellent stuff.

So does anyone know officially how much transmission fluid that I need to put in?

I have tried searching the internet and Haynes for ages.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom