N16 SR16VE

made a start on the block rebuild, first off i blasted through the oil and water galleries in the block with compressed air, then some white spirit making sure there is no crud lurking in there, then i degreased and cleaned everything back, I was thinking on painting the block and upper sump silver, but they are coming up so well they wont need it, though the lower sump pan will get sanded back and a coat of hammerite

the main parts
IMG_20120630_211653.jpg

a rather dirty block deck and my favourite degreaser
IMG_20120630_211703.jpg

more as it progresses :)

....phone....

well my build is now on hold, due to the fact of the 20ve block I was going to be using being fooked, first problem answered a question I had in why was it shipped with one chain guide still attached, answer a threaded guide bolt

IMG_20120704_135702.jpg

and as the guide was there when the block was shipped this occurred

IMG_20120704_132123.jpg

IMG_20120704_132151.jpg

other bits of the deck have damage too
IMG_20120704_132159.jpg

IMG_20120704_132136.jpg

also the chain cover/oil pump housing looks to have been taken off with a chisel/screwdriver and has scored the surface in several areas
IMG_20120704_132123.jpg

IMG_20120704_132116.jpg

IMG_20120704_132109.jpg

IMG_20120704_132104.jpg

IMG_20120704_132056.jpg

also its been dropped/dinged on the gearbox face
IMG_20120704_132216.jpg

i'm going to take it to the local engineering place and see what they say but i'm not holding my breath for a good result :-/

....phone....

and they are all away from the bores which is where it matters the most, all the other surfaces will have silicon sealant in which will take care of everything else, just get it built you girl

you guys are seeing the dent on the side of the compression deck, that protrudes about 1.5mm above deck height and is still above level ~10mm in, that's as close to a bore as it can be? and the fact that it may be off square (likely caused whenever it got dropped hard enough on the gearbox mount corner to dent it bad enough to deform the bolt hole) as my straight edge has a slight rock on the front to back diagonal. like I said i'll wait to here what the engineers say needs taken off the deck before moving forward.

I'm not fussed about the oilpump cover just showing the state of it, and the gearbox bolt hole will get drilled/tapped back to round once the edge is flatted back, thats if the block is used.

....phone....

I was advised to always deck the block anyway if you want the engine to last. Something along the lines of dinosaur back shape.

my problem with this block is that this is going to be a daily run engine, and with 12.5:1 pistons I have very little room to play with to save a dented and twisted deck and still end up with a sensible comp ratio.

as for decking every block, of the several performance engines I've built I've decked the block on very few (only if needed) and all but one are still going strong. I don't know how many performance engines you've built but I do know if you'd be willing to use anything like the above block you'd run into problems quite quickly ;)

sam bud as it looks like your about to be building a 20ve how about we swap blocks? i'll build the shipping crate and pay for shipping both ways, i'll ship this block to you and then you can use the crate to send your block back to me, show me how not to be a girl and build this block up lol

....phone....

Fingers crossed they come back with it needs a light skim and all is fine. Could always give the pistons a light skim to rebalance the ratio if needs be.

well now we all have that out of our systems :lol:

well after i got out of the hospital there wasn't much daylight time left so i though we could just throw in the driveshafts and call it a night, well it turns out that the gti drivers side shaft is not compatable with the 32v gearbox at all, although the splines are the same the shaft doesn't go into the diff far enough for the halfshaft bracket to line up with it's mounting holes on the back of the block :wall:

now i know this is a very long shot but if anyone on here happens to have a drivers side inner cv off of a vz-r that's not currently in a box could they take some pictures like these ones i took of the gti inner splines with a ruler. it would be much appreciated so i can work out if it's the splined part that needs shortened or if it's the bearing/seal shoulder that needs shortened.

2011-04-01193058.jpg

2011-04-01193116.jpg

failing that i have a drivers side vz-r shaft but i'll need to source an inner cv, which means bending over and getting shafted, pardon the pun :(

also i heard back from rimstock/team dynamics about the gold wheels of off marks/stevens old car, they are an early version of one of the motorsport range and they havent made one for over 8 years, they said it's likely impossible i'll find anyone with stock of them, and said that ebay was my best bet for a finding a replacement, so that's 4 new paperweights i have all down to one of them being more bent that mark owen :/

Hi my friend.I own a nissan almera N16, and swap an sr20ve engine. I want to swap a sr16ve quick ratio LSD gearbox,so i want to ask you from which car axle I will need for my N16.I read your post but cause my english are not so good I do not understand!! please give me your lights! thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom