Need help, gearbox compatibility

Hey all, i was wonderinf if someone could help me out here.

The gearbox in my 2004 1.4 Almera SE has packed in and i may have a replacement but i do not know if it is compatible with my car.

The replacement i have been told is from a 1.5 2004 almera.

Does anyone know, i tried looking in google but im not sure where to look, thats when i found this forum.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

A N16 with a 1.4? Are you sure..?

To my knowledge they were equipped with either a 1.5l or a 1.8l engine. The 1.4 engine was on the previous model (N15) Almeras. I'm pretty confident that you have the 1.5l (QG15DE) engine.

A N16 with a 1.4? Are you sure..?

To my knowledge they were equipped with either a 1.5l or a 1.8l engine. The 1.4 engine was on the previous model (N15) Almeras. I'm pretty confident that you have the 1.5l (QG15DE) engine.

Yea i think you may be right, i think i was told i had a 1.4. Just checked the documents and it is a 1497cc engine.
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, i wouldn’t have checked the docs otherwise cause i was sure it was a 1.4

No problem, and yeah 1497cc is rounded up to 1.5l. :)

Did the old gearbox break? The 1.5 is paired to a quite weak gearbox, I've seen many with damaged bearings. They first start whining / making noise or vibrating and then suddenly go out.

At some point there was discussion about possible underfilling (not enough gearbox oil) from the factory.

Anyway, if you get a used 1.5 gearbox, be sure to change the gearbox oil unless you know its' history. The correct transmission code is RS5F30A and model number is 4M506. (with possibly a letter after, I've seen boxes with V, VB and VC after the 4M506)

the filler plug was manufactured too low on the box, so you cannot put enough oil in, causes the failure of the box, incredibly common issue and a known fault, no guarantee a replacement box wont suffer the same fate.

Back
Top Bottom