Noisey engine?????

My mera has 110k on the clocks!

When i rev the engine around the 3000 mark, there is a nocking type noise coming from the engine.

I removed the rocker cover and inspected the cams and lifters all seems fine tho!

Iv recently serviced it to so the engine oil is perfect!

Has anyone else ever heard of this issue before!!

Thanks
Daniel

Moble 1, 10w - 30, i think. its what my work put in the lexus, as i work for lexus i got it alot lot cheaper,lol.
You think the grading could be coursing it?

That should be ok, I've seen no end of problems with 5W so that is well worth keeping away from.
If you have a set of electronic chassis ears at work clip them onto the engine and see if you can pin point the noise any better.

Ok, ill find out for shore the grade of oil iv used, an ill try an locate where the noise is coming from!!
Is there an common problems with these engines..ie. bottem end?

Thanks
Daniel

as we were saying dan, it all depends on past life, they go forever SR20's...if looked after, sorry i havent been to have a listen mate, you out on wednesday?

Yeah buddy, am in yarm for my bosses leaving do, then al be meking my way to t park!

A was speaking to a lad i know thats worked for nissan for about 10 years, an he said he has never ever stripped down an sr20 engine....ever,lol. So guess thats saying something for how well built these engines are a!

They are solid engines.. When looked after.
If some idiot hasn't kept an eye on oil levels its quite common for the big end / main bearings to become worn.. But you would know if it was bottom end bearing problems, as there would be a very loud rattling, almost unbearable.

A slight rattle is most likely timing chain related, but SR20's are fairly loud on idle anyway, so unless its pretty loud, it may not be anything to worry about.
Joe

If some idiot hasn't kept an eye on oil levels its quite common for the big end / main bearings to become worn.. But you would know if it was bottom end bearing problems, as there would be a very loud rattling, almost unbearable.

*whistles nonchalantly then makes a sharp exit.

That should be ok, I've seen no end of problems with 5W so that is well worth keeping away from.
If you have a set of electronic chassis ears at work clip them onto the engine and see if you can pin point the noise any better.

Sorry to hijack this thread put just reading through and saw your post Tech, well now I'm a bit worried :confused:
I got some oil from Opie oils last month and all the oil they recommend for the GTI is 5w - 40.
But you say to stay away from it? what problems will the 5w-40 oil cause? Really could do without my engine going bang :(

I guess its too `thin` to start with and rather than collect in the bearing components ( say overnight ) it runs out.....so on a cold start you dont get max` protection..........thats how i see it anyway.

Hey Rowdy :)
lol just this minute finshed e-mailing Opie Oils back. Had a chap called Guy email me to tell me it is the ideal oil for the engine.
I did wonder at the time if the oil would be to thin but Opie did say it was the right stuff, so I took their advise as what the hell do I know about oil?! :D
Saw this thread though and started to get a bit worried.

The chap Guy wanted to know why people would say stay away from the 5w 40 for our engine, but i couldn't tell him cause I don't really understand the reasons :O

Ok feel happy now :)
Just heard back from guy and what he says mekes sense to me:-

'Matt,

I thought they would say that, one of the most common misconseptions about oil.

0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40 and 15w-40 are all the same viscosity when hot (SAE40) and this is measured at 100degc and is what the engine is designed to run on.

The first number is the cold crank viscosity, how thick it is when you start your engine. 0w being the thinnest at cold temps, 20w being the thickest. In the UK 5w and 10w are ideal, however as oil is many, many times thicker when cold then when hot, it could only ever be too thin when hot.....

You can use the 5w-40 with confidence.

Cheers

Guy'

**breathes sigh of relief** :D

after hearing the engine on wednesday night id say its chain tensioner or guides, most likely tensioner though

Thanks buddy! A might be a techy but having soming who knows these engines inside out helps massivly!!!

Gona change them soon as, an do the timing while am there!

Do you have any pins wezz for locking up the cams?

Oh an what grade oil you using bud?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom