Poor acceleration

Have Tino 2.2 dieseal se got really poor acceleration and have to change down to 1 or 2 gear when going round corners and up hills, fine once running, tried new air flow meter, any suggestions?

Have Tino 2.2 dieseal se got really poor acceleration and have to change down to 1 or 2 gear when going round corners and up hills, fine once running, tried new air flow meter, any suggestions?

is it not maybe just the time the plugs take to warm?

the resident YD22 expert should be along momentarily to point you in the right direction

lol yes guys :lol:

Ross the glow plugs are only used to start the engine as ignition is caused by the heat and pressure in the compression stroke alone.

Could be a few things; You could check the fuel filter. When was it last changed? Also the air filter? Does the car rev higher as you try going up hill? If it does it could be your clutch is slipping and needs changing. Has the management light come on at all as it's possible there's actually a fault. Could be that the fuel pump is faulty or the engine has gone into the limp mode. Is there a whining sound from the turbo? If that's going then lack of power is a sure sign. What year is the car as the earlier ones were more prone to turbo failure and/or diesel pump failure. Any smoke? Blue or white? (black smoke is normal).

Check those things for now and we'll go from there :). Hope that's of some help to you.

Welcome to the club :).

Black smoke is farily normal, check the stuff EDK as mentioned as he is the diesel guru, I had a 2001 TDDI N16 so the same engine but I never had any problems with it so can't really offer any further advice that hasn't already been suggested by ed

Wanted to make a separate thread but since problem is exactly the same i'll unload here. :D

2.2S of 2001....is embarrassed to hell by my 306 1.9 straight diesel. I kind of expected to have a bit more power out of Tino. There is nothing below 1900rpm's, while i can dig holes in the unpaved road with 306 at ~900rpm's.

Confession time: i'm a learner driver. But my wife is not anymore (for more than 10 years now), but her complaints about lack of power in tino is the same as mine. She's been driving that 306 straight d for three years and now she wants it back and out of tino (after only 3 weeks of driving it)... My instructor is scolding me all the time because i over-rev his 1.5 megane, because thats how i have to drive tino (there is no power in low revs, remember?). Hilly roads are a bloody nightmare, i have to drive in three, like an old lady...

Road to our house is a steep one (like proper steeep), 306 gets it on three, tino barely makes up that hill on two.

No obvious signs of any faults. Black smoke while starting, fuel, oil and air filters changed right after purchase of the car, oil changed. Old air filter didnt have oil on it (someone told me that nissans that have that are ahlf dead, whatever that means...).

I dont know what to think about this car. I like its interior, my wife (me too) likes high sitting position, some small things to fix (used car afterall)... But if we cannot rectify the power absence we'll have to sell it and move on....

Ideas ?

Tomorrow going to (other) mechanics to check it again (previous check at different mechanic didnt reveal anything)...

Bah...meh...

lets be honest. a tino is considerably bigger than the 306.

and its '01, meaning if i recall corrently its the 112 diesel engine?

it might just be the mental thing that your used to your tin can with a tdi. and now you have a big vengabus

Long shot and more of an observers point of view, but if lack of power only happens at corners or steep hills. Would this point to the fuel pump not being able to pickup due to the horizontal level of fuel in the tank when at an angle? What would happen, if this is the case, the pump while not picking up pressured fuel would be sucking in air resulting rather dull power?

lets be honest. a tino is considerably bigger than the 306.

and its '01, meaning if i recall corrently its the 112 diesel engine?

it might just be the mental thing that your used to your tin can with a tdi. and now you have a big vengabus

Tino is almost exactly the size of 306, but 300mm higher and 300kg heavier. But it also has a bigger and turbo-charged engine, while my 306 is a STRAIGHT 1.9 diesel, not TD. Difference in drag due to tino being higher is negligible. Tino is at 114bhp.

Long shot and more of an observers point of view, but if lack of power only happens at corners or steep hills. Would this point to the fuel pump not being able to pickup due to the horizontal level of fuel in the tank when at an angle? What would happen, if this is the case, the pump while not picking up pressured fuel would be sucking in air resulting rather dull power?

Not here. It does exactly the same on a flat road. Change three to four, pedal to the metal and it accelerates like a train (not in a good sense) - you cant feel it, you can only see slooooow increase in speed on the speedometer. There is no feeling of me booting it.

I'm not in driving for racing, but this is ridiculous, that my instructors 1.5td megane (way)outperforms 2.2td nissan (again, taking into account size of the engine and weight differences...)...

you said it yourself mate, 300kgs heavier.......thats ALOT of weight, and only having 112hp, it isnt going to be rapid by any standards.

Di is 110bhp. If the 306 is N/A then it'll be running something like 22:1 compression. There in lies the torque that you'll get through-out the rev range. The tino relies more on boost to get it's torque and power as it's 18:1 compression. You therefore have to wait for the turbo to spool up at say 1800rpm. You'll feel this no doubt. That's my 2p :)

Well, after 2 months driving it i think i owe an update :D

Nothing's changed, still sluggish off the start. Very.
Surprising thing is that i do like its smooth delivery of power, but the problem is that
i have to rev lots to get fast starts, or get out of junction and into the traffic gap... still stalling in that situation occasionally (meh)...

Asked opinion of many more experienced drivers than me to tell me what they think about absense of power in low revs - ALL of them concur that the car of this class with this engine is very slow off the start. Mechanics say that turbo kicking in way late.

Other than that its a fine car. Will keep it till maybe end of spring, then will try to get something else to try...

Oh, and some arse hole already dented my boot lid in some parking lot... Damn i'm lucky that way, our 306 suffered from this as well...

Try a de-coke like wynns or 10k then some injector cleaner. Celtic tuning a do a off the shelf remap for your ecu that should give about 150bhp & 249 torques. I have a normal almera 2.2di (scoobsn7x's old one) with that remap & i would recommend it to any di owner it would certainly help your tino.

+1 on 98GTi comments my old N16 was pretty rapid and the boost kicked in from about 1400-1500 rpm, I test drove a normal N16 before I got the tuned one (previous owner got the remap by celtic tuning) and the difference was immense, the tuning company quoted me £150 to update the map as they reckoned they could improve perfromance even more (my old almera was the first they did and they reckoned with the extra experience and new software they could definately improve it). For that price they would come to the house and do it.

To give you an idea they also quoted me £300 to remap my T4, which would have been a full map not a rework, would definately recommend it.

That does it... sick and tired of "garages"... Going to nissan dealer on saturday to get proper diagnostics and some fixes.

Decided to do some hands-on inspection of the engine - turbine is all in wet oil.
Asked one of my non-mechanic friend (tuner/enthusiast, Civic Type-R nut) to help me figure out wtf is wrong with it not having any poke. As far as i can gather there is a pipe that supplies air under pressure from turbine and it can be felt if there is any pressure going there. So, he asks me to rev the engine until whatever he needs happens. After some revving he says that turbo doesn't kick in until at least 4k rpm (rpm is my observation as it was me who was revving the engine). And so goes my now ex-mechanics theory that turbo is fine.

The guy who helped me this time worked for nissan dealer and he's hooking me up with full diag/exam by authorized dealership.

I really like the car, looks great, interior is up to my expectations and requirements, insurance is cheap, economy is fairly good if inefficient, due to turbo crapping out, but the overall engine situation just does my head in...

IF the turbine is gone, what sort of monetary damage i'm looking at ? Are used turbos hard to come by ? gah...

Back
Top Bottom