Sr20de cam install tips/help

Yeah as some may or may not know i am getting some s3 cams for a p11 newx week,anybody like to say how there have installed them before ect,any tips or any info ??

Just thought i would ask AOC also.

Thanks.

Put engine at TDC.

Mark chain position on both cam sprockets with tipex or something as well as cable tie the sprockets in a few places to hold the chain in place.

Make sure you have somewhere to lay all your cam caps as you undo them and keep them all in order as they have to go back on where you removed them from.

Place a wooden wedge down into the timing chain cover to hold the chain in place (tie a string round it so you can remove it after)

Remove the distributor (mark the position also so it goes back where it was)

Undo cam gear bolts and use a bungee cord to suspend the chain (main thing is making sure the chain doesnt lose it's position on the bottom crank sprocket)

Undo the cam caps in order as stated in the fsm

Remove old cams

Place new cams into the head and use assembly lube on the cams bearings as well as cam lobes.

That should get you started ha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cable tie the cam sprockets to the chain and leave them in situ. Saves messing arround with the timing. I found it easy enough to remove the chain tensioner to give you plenty of slack to play with.

Put engine at TDC.

Mark chain position on both cam sprockets with tipex or something as well as cable tie the sprockets in a few places to hold the chain in place.

Make sure you have somewhere to lay all your cam caps as you undo them and keep them all in order as they have to go back on where you removed them from.

Place a wooden wedge down into the timing chain cover to hold the chain in place (tie a string round it so you can remove it after)

Remove the distributor (mark the position also so it goes back where it was)

Undo cam gear bolts and use a bungee cord to suspend the chain (main thing is making sure the chain doesnt lose it's position on the bottom crank sprocket)

Undo the cam caps in order as stated in the fsm

Remove old cams

Place new cams into the head and use assembly lube on the cams bearings as well as cam lobes.

That should get you started ha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Remove the tensioner, 5 minute job that makes the cam swap easier. Then cable tie the gears to the chain before removing if you haven't managed to get the coloured links to line up.

There is a PDF on the JWT site which details the procedure pretty well.

-phone-

Keep the chain tight and it shouldn't, but some say it can't drop off anyway.
Using the jwt wooden wedge proceedure is extra insrance to stop this from happening.

It physically can't skip a tooth on the crank, nissan have designed it so. You'd need to have the oil pump off etc before it would.

Back
Top Bottom