srbryan N15 Pulsar VZR DP1

Been on here a little while so thought it would be rude of me not to post a thread on my lastest project.
I bought this Pulsar a couple of weeks ago as a project to keep me busy for a while, there is a few small problems with it but shouldn't be to hard to sort out with a bit of cash money and time thrown at it.
It's a very clean car from what i have seen so far just needs a good clean up.
From what i can tell is it's fairly rare to see a VZR in this colour but that makes me like it even more!!!
So when I bought it there was/is a hole in the flexi so it sounds like a tractor and makes it rediculously loud when in crossover lol,
Airbag light was on but sorted that as soon as i got home with the door switch trick.
Battery light is on even though the car drives fine but after checking it with an multimeter it's charging at 15.8V,so hopefully a new alternator will sort that out and a few more bits and pieces but I will try keep this thread updated as i go.

Excuse the pics as it was getting dark and they were taken with my jphone;)
IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

Nice yoke! Was wondering what happened to it when I seen it for sale last year

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looking lovely! A good clean both inside and outside will take it to a whole new level of awesomeness. :)

My two cents: The alternator probably has a faulty rectifier bridge. A new alternator should sort out your problems, but if you want to get your hands dirty, you might get away by cracking the alt open and just changing the said part.

EDIT: Could be the voltage regulator too.

Looking lovely! A good clean both inside and outside will take it to a whole new level of awesomeness. :)

My two cents: The alternator probably has a faulty rectifier bridge. A new alternator should sort out your problems, but if you want to get your hands dirty, you might get away by cracking the alt open and just changing the said part.

EDIT: Could be the voltage regulator too.

I was thinking the same thing aswell, I got a new alternator so hopefully sort out the issue.

Thanks for all the comments lads.
So got up late today and started tearing into the car, my plan for the day was to change the alternator and change the standard manifold for a Jperformance one i got second hand.

Started off this by spraying loads and loads of WD40 on the bolts, they looked fairly rusty and I didnt want any bolts shearing on me today. All nuts and bolts came off suprisingly easy except for one on the heatshield that rounded off but managed to get it off with my trusty vise-grips:)
IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

And true to form the Irish weather decided to show up and start raining, so out came the gazebo coz i was determined not to be stopped by a little bit of water lol.
IMG_0688.JPG

Everything was going well until i had to remove the manifold and downpipe, all would have been fine only for the stupid air-con pump and pipes:mad: had to split it in two to get it out and that worries me because my new manifold and downpipe is all one piece, so i'm thinking of getting rid of the air-con altogether as i doubt i will ever use it and i don't think there is any gas in it anyway.

IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
and shortly followed by the alternator
IMG_0695.JPG

It started getting dark so didn't get it all back together but I took the front bumper off so I can spray the lip on the bottom black and maybe get rid of air-con rad if i'm not going to keep it and paint up the front crossmember.

IMG_0701.JPG

To keep me busy for the eve i got a replacement mirror for the drivers side as the one that was on there is for a poverty spec Almera with no electric adjustment or folding, but no matter how hard i looked i couldn't find a VZR/GTI mirror in Loden green so off came the cover and out came the rattle cans hopefully colour will be a close enough match.
IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Thats it for today hopefully have a few more updates tomorrow.
Also anyone know what size alternator belt I need if i delete the air-con?

dp1 is a bitch to match to existing paint dont you think?

sorry had to edit as i read between the line's...wondered about getting rid of the air-con.

Not much done today due to lazyness:D Mangaged to get aircon removed, wasn't as bad as what i thout it would be but dammit it weighs alot. Just incase anyone is going doing the aircon delete the new alternator belt size you need is 6pk825.
Also put in my second hand alternator and the light went out when i started the car:D then came back on a few minutes later:(:( i'm now confused.com, what are the chances of having 2 alternators with the same problem? when I plug out the grey plug on the alternator the light goes out and alternater charges at about 11v and when i plug it back in it goes to 15v. The seconf alternator i got does charge lower than the first but don't know what to do now.
Another problem i found was indicators don't always work from the stalk but work when hazard switch is pressed and sometimes they work no problem.:(

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG

I would get that dent sorted out on your sump asap. I'm sure it's been mentioned it can starve the engine of oil being close to the oil pick-up.
i could be wrong though?

I would get that dent sorted out on your sump asap. I'm sure it's been mentioned it can starve the engine of oil being close to the oil pick-up.
i could be wrong though?

Thanks yeah that'd on my to-do list, just wan to get it running right first before i spend anymore money on it.

What's the crack with plug un-plugged vvl solenoid? distributor and where is the 02 sensor?

I would love to own and fanny about with your vzr. Same colour as my ga16de:)

Agree with the post above, I'd get a new sump. Dunno about the oil starvation case but the sump looks rotten, might not take much of a hit to break.

What's the crack with plug un-plugged vvl solenoid? distributor and where is the 02 sensor?

I would love to own and fanny about with your vzr. Same colour as my ga16de:)

VVL is unplugged beacause i must join and solder the wires back to standard because previous owner had them joined together for that VVL BANG lol. O2 sensor is further back near the cat, manifold is for a sr20 i presume.

instant vvl hmmm.

what's you plan's for this car restoring it back to it's former glory? or just get it running and knock the bollock's out it and have some fun.

instant vvl hmmm.

what's you plan's for this car restoring it back to it's former glory? or just get it running and knock the bollock's out it and have some fun.

My plan is to get running and looking perfect and keep it that way, i'm not really a drive the balls out of it kind of dude. It's going to stay failry oem looking except for maybe coilovers/springs and a set of rays te37.

i used to remember when i was on me yts. i worked at a used motor spares/scrap yard and we used to soak returned alternator's that didn't work in bucket's of petrol for a few hour's and re-sold them and never had them returned back ha ha ha.

Don't asked me if it worked but my then boss swore by it!

I think once you get it up and running well you need to attack that rust as from your pic's i can see it starting under driver's wing mirror and all over the rad support.What i'm saying really is you have had the front bumper off, wing mirror etc already and havent touched it.

Rust will kill these car's very quick as you probably know.;)

Back
Top Bottom