superchargers?

its getting posted in here as i am not a full member to gain access to the N16 tuning and maintenance section.

i am looking down the lines of supercharging the 1.8 N16, and have been looking into Eaton Superchargers, now then, the one i have seen is a M45 supercharger, which is built for 2-3L engines, but according to their website, can work with smaller engines

so the question is, will it work? anyone had any supercharger experience?

You need to ask almerasleeper on here he has an N16 supercharged 1.8 cost him about 4k though! As everything was custom made there are no kits out there as far as I know.

hmm, see, im no expert to be honest, i just saw the actual supercharger unit, and thought it was a straight bolt on, and fit the pulley.

hmm, see, im no expert to be honest, i just saw the actual supercharger unit, and thought it was a straight bolt on, and fit the pulley.

No mate you need all pipes custom made for the boosted air to pushed into the inlet you need your fueling set up so a new remapable engine management unit will be required and all sorts! If it was as simple as just putting charger and pully on loads of people would have done it!

I would advise you join the AOC (£16), which will give you access to tons of helpful info. Then if you can't find what you're looking for, PM me & I'll be happy to help. :) As Garnz said, it's not just a simple bolt-on !

Reactions: GTi
Hmm yeah, I did have my doubts, I'll speak to the lad who normally does my mechanics work n see wat he can do for me! Just wondered cos I had seen the actual supercharger unit on eBay pretty cheap

EATON chargers aint that good for small engines.

you want a Centrifugal supercharger like a rotrex. but we warned, they are expensive.

and a supercharger is nothing like a bolt on mod. your looking at at least 1000 quid to supercharge an almera if you get a really cheap charger. but its more likely to be 2000 +

Eddie now im usually one for letting sleeping dogs lie but fuck me you dont half talk some shit!

where the fuck in any of the origonal posts did ANYONE talk about Turbos or SR20's or VVL?

the guy has an N16!! and wonderd if a supercharger would be a good idea.. not weather theres anyone who does a bolt on turbo for an SR20...

Responding to the OP.. this is going to sound very harsh but.. theres a simple saying f you have to ask you aint got the skills to do it.. also if a mechanic said they could just bolt on a supercharger then id steer well clear of that mechanic..

first off youll need to find somewhere to mount the supercharger that will allow the pully to be on the same plane as the other pullys.. allot harder than it seems.. unless you want to sacrifice your A/C.. then you might be onto somthing.. after that youl need to get the air to the supercharger.. via the relevant sensors.. and then the boost air back again to the inlet.. all of which will need custom pipework making up and movement of sensors ect.. then you will need some form of managment to run the whole thing..

would it work with an M45.. yes.. would it cost alot yes.. would it make good power.. depends on what you class as good power..

worth it in my eyes.. no unless you have a few spare grand and fancy something different..

I saw curtis post i wana do this to my gti and asshumed it was another one of those.. soo much banging on about people wanting turbo conversions again i assumed it was the same thing..my mistake :lol:

Responding to the OP.. this is going to sound very harsh but.. theres a simple saying f you have to ask you aint got the skills to do it.. also if a mechanic said they could just bolt on a supercharger then id steer well clear of that mechanic..

first off youll need to find somewhere to mount the supercharger that will allow the pully to be on the same plane as the other pullys.. allot harder than it seems.. unless you want to sacrifice your A/C.. then you might be onto somthing.. after that youl need to get the air to the supercharger.. via the relevant sensors.. and then the boost air back again to the inlet.. all of which will need custom pipework making up and movement of sensors ect.. then you will need some form of managment to run the whole thing..

would it work with an M45.. yes.. would it cost alot yes.. would it make good power.. depends on what you class as good power..

worth it in my eyes.. no unless you have a few spare grand and fancy something different..

yeah like i said im no expert, i had looked into which chargers would work, but all i was looking for was the info on how to do it etc.

if i dont ask the question, im not going to just automatically learn about superchargers. the mechanic has no idea i was planning on doing this, i thought id ask someone who knows more about almeras first.

like i said that statement wasnt meant to offend.. theres been 1 supercharged N16 done on this fourm.. it cost him 4K and then it was removed as it didnt pass the mot IIRC..

like i said its alot of work.. and personally it would be easy to turbo it..

Yeah I had looked down both routes to be honest, was just looking for info so I knew what I'd need. I'm no master mechanic so I just need a point in right direction really

phone TTS.

they done pauls, so should be able to quote an accurate cost to do yours.

unfortunately, the fuel management system was overfuelling

Mine's will be back up & running in the Spring. It had to be taken off after the MOT failure or I wouldn't have a car to drive ! I'm simply waiting til warmer weather arrives & I've got the performance manifold & sports cat in place. If Liam's can pass with that exhaust set-up, that's a good starting point. It's then just a matter of sorting the fuelling out & I have 2 ideas for that. It's never going to be easy or straightforward converting anything for the 1st time - as with the QG. There's more to come from this engine yet.

its getting posted in here as i am not a full member to gain access to the N16 tuning and maintenance section.

i am looking down the lines of supercharging the 1.8 N16, and have been looking into Eaton Superchargers, now then, the one i have seen is a M45 supercharger, which is built for 2-3L engines, but according to their website, can work with smaller engines

so the question is, will it work? anyone had any supercharger experience?
Hey can you super charge a 1.5 petrol Almera?

Back
Top Bottom