Disabling N16 passenger air bag

Get a 2.2ohm fused resistor* and a couple of links from a small chocolate block connector.
Disconnect battery for at least 20 mins as airbag system can detonate for a while after battery power is cut.
Disconnect airbag and connect resistor in place of the airbag in the circuit. Insulate wire and connector block well with insulating tape.
Reconnect battery.
Done (probably).

You could also solder the resisitor in and insulate with shrink-tube for a more professional, permenant fix or get a spare of the existing connector and build a deletion connector with the resistor in it if you will want to disconnect/reconnect often.

If you don't do it right (bad connection to resistor) the system will register a fault and you will have to try again from scratch and then clear the error with a secret sequence that involves fiddling with turning the ignition on, then off, then on pressing pedals in a special order, winding the windows up and down, hopping clockwise three times humming the theme tune from The Wombles backwards, sacrificing three cross-eyed virgins on midwinter's eve and so on.. (or something like that anyway.. just search, it's been covered recently).

Airbags are explosive devices and should be treated as such. You can't treat them roughly or just bung them in a skip. They have to be handled and decomissioned/disposed of correctly.Scrappy or garage should be able to do that. They will detonate it safely.

This method *should* work for most airbags.

All advice at your own risk and with no liability accepted :)

Edit: Ed says the airbag in question needs a 2.7ohm resistor and he's the N16 guru.

Ah. Thanks Ed. 2.7ohm, then. If the exact required resistance is known for a specific system best use it.

As I understand it most systems check for between 2 and 3ohms but there are always exceptions.
Some will be more sensitive and/or in a different range (I thinks some Audis are around 5ohm).

It would be alot easier if nissan gave us a simple switch to press, or a key slot like other manufacturers.:confused:

Newer nissans do have a key slot though. Just sadly not N16s. Would it be simple enough to some form of switch between the resistor and the airbag?

Hi, im assuming this is so you can use a child seat? Dont rely on disconnecting the electrics to stop it going off, it can go off all of its own accord if in an accident, its just not worth the risk. Although manufacturers say thats what it's for, you will find child seat manufacturers still advise against it. I was trained to fit them by maxicosi graco and britax, whilst working for an unmentionable orange/black retailer ;-)

Hmm, don't know whether to try, the deal breaker would be if a pram would fit in the boot with my sub...
If it doesn't I'd have to look at removing the air bag completely and swapping for that resistor trick for safety or even changing to a bigger car :(

Hmm, don't know whether to try, the deal breaker would be if a pram would fit in the boot with my sub...
If it doesn't I'd have to look at removing the air bag completely and swapping for that resistor trick for safety or even changing to a bigger car :(
Get bigger car. Thats what im doing

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom