Stani's SR20 Micra Build

Great progress buddy. With your welding you want to go forward a bit and then pause and knit that pool with the cooling pool you've left before. When you get in a rhythm it's easy and you'll end up with a stronger weld and better penetration. Latin down straight beads is easy, the hard bit is sticking the two bits together like they were made in one piece.
Hehe penetration x

What you need to do is start with a good pool then drag that pool along say 10mm, then go back 3-4mm and then repeat. The qelding you're doing is probably ok for purpose but if you can make it better then try it out. You'll end up with a weld that looks like a nice TIG bead. Looks better than a long line of flat weld and it means you're more likely to stitch then together properly. Remember to tack at regular places along the longer runs too to help stop distortion. You seem to enjoy it though and have picked it up well so far.

Perfect cheers for the tips! I enjoy welding when it goes to plan. I just worry about blasting holes! For that welding I was going in circular motion slowly and overlapping each time.

Couldnt resist but get back up to the micra tonight, the engine is now sitting on all its mounts! Next i have to remove the engine and seam weld the LH and RH mounts to the body, add some extra plates to the rear and RH mounts to strengthen them, now some pics :)

Done!

Rear mount just needs plated each side

Gearbox mount needs a couple plates at the other side where its been trimmed to fit. A closer look you can see some new welds (once finished ill take better photos out the car)

Bonus Pic

Hey guys heres how ive got on from last night, all engine mount are completely welded up and had 2 coats zinc primer. Engines back in and it isnt half a fiddle now that the bulky gearbox mount is in the way! Anyway heres some pics

Now a 2.0ltr engine bay :D

Centre member been plated either side

Gearbox mount fully welded and plated, also put 2 bolts into it as a precaution

Altenator bracket adjusted to give about 10mm clearance

Also had time to clean up abit, and put up a wall unit

Bonus Pic

Yeah mate, thinking back i now realised how i was holding what i was grinding and that it was just stupid! Just glad it didnt waste the night and only took 5 mins of my time. All worth it in the end haha

Not alot to update this week due to being on call next week i didnt want to remove the engine to make a start on the bullhead and leave the garage in a mess since ill not make it up there for 2 weeks! :( so all i got done tonight was the accelerator pedal fitted, cant get the brake servo in whilst the engine is in so couldnt do the brake pedal and i also couldnt get the clutch pedal done because the cable bracket that comes off the gearbox needs to swapped for a micra one so that the rubber insert seats properly. Over the next week whilst on call i can remove parts from the donor micra because i get a phone signal their so its not 100% waste of a week!

And heres the main thing i got done tonight, GTI half dash fitted :)

Back
Top Bottom