Autech Pulsar GTi

Spent a few hours today working on the Autech, in preparation for cylinder head removal.

Coolant Drained
Radiator Fans Removed
Upper and lower Rad hoses removed
Heater hoses removed
Removed Exhaust Manifold
Removed Intake Pipe
Disconnected Breather, Vacuum and Fuel Hoses
Disconnected relevant wiring connectors on the loom and moved loom out of the way

Heres how it stands at the moment:

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

holy cutback valve guides batman!

chame you havent got the inlet that it would have been matched to aswell :chef:

A quick update, more progress:

Throttle Body Removed
Intake Manifold Removed
Starter Motor Removed
Metal Coolant Pipe and thermostat Removed
Distributor removed

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

Awesome, glad you can put it to use, think my SR20 days are drawing to a close. I did have GTiR ITBs for it but I dont think theyd really do it justice. When I got this there was also a plenum, runners and carbon box setup with slide throttles and 8injectors for sale, but £1500 wasnt justifiable. Any idea what you are going to do to make this run? I think CR will be around 13.5:1

What a beautiful head you have there Dale. Had a good polishing that, you must be a very happy man :clown:

Very high CR, is that what the BTCC engines were running? Clearly going to be a beast when finished mate :thumb:

what temp is the thermostat?

76.5*C

Awesome, glad you can put it to use, think my SR20 days are drawing to a close. I did have GTiR ITBs for it but I dont think theyd really do it justice. When I got this there was also a plenum, runners and carbon box setup with slide throttles and 8injectors for sale, but £1500 wasnt justifiable. Any idea what you are going to do to make this run? I think CR will be around 13.5:1

Yeah i don't think i'll be running GTiR ITB's.
Initial plan is to use a standard highport intake manifold, with just a clean up and port matching. Combined with a nice big air feed from the Autech front fog aperture.

First steps really in the build will just be the head install with uprated valve springs and roller rocker lifters. Just creating a nice base for myself.

Compression wise, since im keeping the stock bottom end, it really depends what thickness H.G i use, my attempt at calculations indicate the static compression ratio could be as low as 12.7:1(with a 1.8mm gasket) or as high as 15:1 (with a 0.6mm).

Figures based on:
86mm Bore
86mm Stroke
87mm HG bore
36.8cc Combustion Chamber
8cc Piston Dome volume (assuming they are SR16VE Pistons)
0.5mm Deck Clearnance

I havent settled on anything yet, currently looking at fuel addatives/octane boosters (ones that actually work!) or possibly alternative fuel mixes, such as methanol or ethanol. I want 13:1 C.R without having to compromise the ignition timing in the mapping.

What a beautiful head you have there Dale. Had a good polishing that, you must be a very happy man :clown:

Very high CR, is that what the BTCC engines were running? Clearly going to be a beast when finished mate :thumb:

I think BTCC engines ran around 14 or 15:1 on race fuel, maybe higher :wacko:

More progress....

Cam Cover off
DSC00167.jpg

Cam sprockets, spray bars and cam caps removed
DSC00169.jpg

Cam caps werent numbered, so i just marked them up
DSC00168.jpg

Cams out
DSC00170.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

Head bolts out and we have lift off!