B15 Sentra SE (US)

Damn clean under there. Mine should look like that soon too. Having the subframe painted or powercoated, new 2JR wishbones going on as well as a host of other mods.

Rebuild time...

IMG_20131006_132033_791_zpsbfd95a4e.jpg
Like an SR20 Alien.

Last of the carnage pics...more pics in Springtime with the new build.
IMG_20131016_064631_907_zpsd92ac18d.jpg

IMG_20131016_064529_653_zpsfca3b332.jpg

IMG_20131016_064601_932_zps0ddfbd15.jpg

The rod cap and rod went through the front of the block, back of the block and oil pan. Even the girdle is cracked!

So what do you think caused this to happen, and what will you do differently to prevent it from happening again?

Great questions! Something I've been thinking about all morning. I believe the cause was due to the wrong crank pulley spacer. I used the DE oil pans, and crank, with a VE block. I didn't notice much wrong with the car until a few months ago, when the alternator was shredding the alt/crank belt. The alignment wasn't correct, as you could see the crank pulley "wobbling" slightly. I decided to just let it be, obviously a HUGE mistake. Plus you could see the alignment was off from alternator to crank by 1-2 teeth (a few mm's).

I believe that movement in the crank caused the first rod to either: 1) crack, or 2) lossen rod cap bolts, as a slight vibration over thousands of miles and constant revving to 6-7k rpms.

I never did go back to see what spacer I used, as I think it was the ve spacer, not a de spacer. I think there's 3 different spacers.

That's my theory. So...user error.

Nice, pics of the BTCC head?

I am going back with the RR DE. The whole set-up will change slightly. I'm keeping the lovefab manifold though. Sold the turbo and will be going with a PTE6262. Going after some local VE-T guys.

Motor will be balanced and blueprinted, which the last motor was not.

Back
Top Bottom