Can I upgrade my screen to sat nav/CD player to play MP3s?

Hi!

New car owner!

I was wondering if I could upgrade the software to my screen to become a navigator.

I was also wondering if I could mod my CD player to play MP3 CDs/DVDs

Thank you.

Sorry, I have a 54 reg Almera SE

Not sure about the first point, but you can get an adaptor that plugs into the CD changer port of the headunit which lets you play MP3s from SD cards and USB sticks.

I'm selling mine as it happens, and here's a demo of it in action that I video'd (it works with both the LCD and VFD screens):

Ok that's one avenue. Another avenue is if I can connect my smartphone via bluetooth. I am pretty sure the car does not have bluetooth so could you point me to what I should be searching for if I wanted to use my car's internal speakers as a bluetooth headset. Also, is there an auxiliary port in this car? If so, where?

Sorry for all the questions!

Ok that's one avenue. Another avenue is if I can connect my smartphone via bluetooth. I am pretty sure the car does not have bluetooth so could you point me to what I should be searching for if I wanted to use my car's internal speakers as a bluetooth headset. Also, is there an auxiliary port in this car? If so, where?

Sorry for all the questions!
The car has zero bluetooth connectivity unfortunately, you'd need to get a separate Bluetooth headset unit.

It doesn't have an aux in either I'm afraid, however the kit I posted up previously has a 3.5mm headphone jack that works when there isn't a USB stick / SD card plugged in.

James.

That gadget is looking more and more like the best option. How would I go about fitting this in my car: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_868887_langId_-1_categoryId_165474#tab1 I've selected "Will this fit my car" and it says it will.
Take anything Halfords says with a pinch of salt. The "joy" about having the climate control integrated in the main screen with the audio is that if you take the old stereo out (the CD player bit) the climate control will no longer work!

The way round that is to install it separately somewhere else. I believe Darren installed one in his glovebox.

This is why I went down the "OE" route. I installed a line-level converter and ran some uprated speakers through an amp on the standard headunit.

See here for a rough bit of info:
http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/james-n16-sxe-dci.44161/page-2#post-663971

James has got all angles covered here! But just to back him up, no that headunit wont work just plug and play. You will need to do some modifications to get it all in and working. I will be fitting one to my car at some point and when I do ill be putting up a how to thread.

Regarding upgrading to satnav, i wouldnt bother, the NisNav isnt great. Plus it requires a different control panel so you would need the screen, control panel and then a NATS recode at nissan as its all tied into the security system! Just buy a map and be done with it :)

James has got all angles covered here! But just to back him up, no that headunit wont work just plug and play. You will need to do some modifications to get it all in and working. I will be fitting one to my car at some point and when I do ill be putting up a how to thread.

Regarding upgrading to satnav, i wouldnt bother, the NisNav isnt great. Plus it requires a different control panel so you would need the screen, control panel and then a NATS recode at nissan as its all tied into the security system! Just buy a map and be done with it :)
:(

I bought it for £50 last year, from here in fact: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260995942379

There's no modification needed to the stereo, it just plugs in the back, you just need to supply a 12v power feed to the MP3 adaptor.

I'd sell it for £40 + P&P. Let me know if you're interested!

Eureka moment: I could attach this to the device and hide everything in the glovebox: http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004TKCFM8/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

How would I get power to the two devices without showing wires all over the place?

You could probably daisychain the 12v feed for the MP3 car changer into that unit! I was lucky as there was a 12v ignition feed leftover from an old Nokia in-car kit in my car, I wouldn't know where to source one I'm afraid.

You don't really want it coming straight from the battery cos it'd never turn off!

Edit: I just read that Amazon link, it uses a rechargable battery that takes 5v, so I presume you could charge that using an in-car "USB" adaptor like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000mah-M...B-Charger-Adapter-for-MP3-black-/140799193120

I am going to buy one of these usb music players in james link for my tino, question is I take it I have to disconnect the cd player to plug the usb adaptor in but I have read if I do this I will lose some of the controls on my radio.Is this what the Nissan y cable is for

The adapter plugs into the back of the CD player into it's CD changer port. You still keep the CD unit.

Reactions: tlo
The CD player will still work. If you have a CD changer then yes it'll be either adaptor or CD changer. If you have no changer, nothing will be affected.

Reactions: tlo
I just have the single cd changer, I have seen one on ebay that allows you to plug a blue tooth adapter in for hands free I admit I miss hands free.One last thing on james utube video the screen of his car shows disc number as well as track number,because mine only has a single cd p-layer I only see track number I hope my screen will show the disc number as well

Back
Top Bottom