How To: Airbag Reset

Hows this done please? :) Mine's been flashing since I removed my seat at shakeys and even though it's all connected back up it still flashes.

Is there a fault code? try the below, cant harm anything.

HOW TO CHANGE SELF-DIAGNOSIS MODE WITHOUT CONSULT-II
From User Mode to Diagnosis Mode
When a malfunction is detected, activate the Diagnosis mode by turning the ignition switch as follows:
1) Turn ignition switch “ON”.
2) After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second.
3) Wait more than 3 seconds.
4) Repeat steps 1 to 3 three times.
5) Turn ignition switch “ON”.
SRS will not enter Diagnosis mode if no malfunction is detected.

From Diagnosis Mode to User Mode
After a malfunction is repaired, switch the ignition “OFF” for at least one second, then back “ON”. Diagnosis
mode is returned to User mode.
When a malfunction is detected, switch from Diagnosis mode to User mode by turning the ignition switch as
follows:
2) After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second.

Cheers, didn't think there was a way without Consult, so cheers :). Is that actually a reset or..? No MIL fault code that I can read with my OBD thinga.

if you read the FSM, its not too clear on an actual "reset" procedure, but I inferred that you put it into diag mode, see what the flashes are, fix it (which you have already done), then put it in user mode.

OR, it may be in diagnosis mode anyway as there was a fault, and you just need to return it user mode.

Worth a bash anyway.

Reactions: edk
Found on Navara forum, which adds I guess the reset part:

mowerman said:
Not tried this, but may save someone a trip to the dealer!
If anyone has success with this, let us know :thumbleft:

RESET METHOD:

If you have the airbag light blinking here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Yes. I'm saying the Navara guys confirm that's what resets it :).

Just tried this and worked a treat. It's good to go by the advice in the second instructions (quoted) as well as the 7 second rule to make sure you're doing it right.

good work edvardo! MOT here we come :):)

i wonder if you removed the seats (ie airbags) for some comfy bucket ones, will this still work?

I haven't started my05 mera in 2 weeks, battery was disconnected too, damn light randomly started flashing. This reset procedure Worked like a treat cheers fellas!!

Is there a fault code? try the below, cant harm anything.

HOW TO CHANGE SELF-DIAGNOSIS MODE WITHOUT CONSULT-II
From User Mode to Diagnosis Mode
When a malfunction is detected, activate the Diagnosis mode by turning the ignition switch as follows:
SRS will not enter Diagnosis mode if no malfunction is detected.

From Diagnosis Mode to User Mode
After a malfunction is repaired, switch the ignition “OFF” for at least one second, then back “ON”. Diagnosis
mode is returned to User mode.
When a malfunction is detected, switch from Diagnosis mode to User mode by turning the ignition switch as
follows:

I was trying the reset, but I followed the above in error, instead of the 1 Ed posted, now it keeps making a tick sound & lights flash on on dash randomly & doesn't start!! HELP someone!!!

Has anyone got any idea how to fix this or any ideas what I need to do to get it the car working again.?? Need my car to commute back & fourth to work, sorry to post again but I'm so depressed. :(

the one Ed posted is the one you quoted, but in plain english instead of Nissan speak.

you have definitely done the last part of that procedure?

-phone-

Thanks for the reply Hally, yes I did the first part of the procedure, but didn't carry on to do the second part (diagnosis to user mode), but then followed through the 1 that Ed posted.

Now when I turn the key in the ignition random ticks can be heard, dash lights are flashing to the ticks which occur every few milliseconds, the central locking isn't activating, it makes a weak sound as though the doors are locked but it doesn't actually lock.

Back
Top Bottom