I need help and links with help about a 1.8 almera tino camshaft sensor fault.

Hi folks,

I have joined the forum to find out help regarding an issue with my sisters car, so any info, tips, reference to guides and links within the Almera club, would be most gratefully appreciated. I'll try give a shortest account of the situation possible. The car she has is an Almera Tino 1.8 petrol, manual, 2005.

It would start first thing in the morning, then occasionally conk out on the move, and not be able to be re-started till approx 10mins after.

I have a domestic scan tool that read the fault as being the camshaft sensor bank 1. I replaced both the camshaft and the crank shaft sensor, reset the MIL, and it was sweet as a nut for over 6 months

The "driveshaft failed", details of which I'm not privy to as AA took her car to a garage where work was done.

Soon after, the car began to have the same conk out situation, but this time, would not re-start at all after.

I now have the car with me, my sister is too afraid to drive it as it left her "conked out" in many scary situations. The same fault is stored on the ECU, ie the camshaft sensor bank 1. I have checked the chain tensioner via the inspection plate, it protrudes, 9mm approx, but the chain is tight and visually in VGC. The car has been serviced every year, without fail, sometimes, twice per year. The car has 66753 miles on the clock.

I have read many forum info, with so many people, who know everything about...well nothing really, hence why I am here seeking help from those who know.

Now, said people mention timing chain stretch? Before I entertain changing the chain, I wanted to bring something to the fore; As is, the car will no fire up, it turns over, with the odd burst of fire up for a second, if that, before turning over again. If I unplug the camshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch, the car fires up and runs, albeit a wee bit faster than the norm. But, once running, plug back in both the camshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch, then there is a sweet, quiet running engine, that pulls without noise of hesitation.

Any pointers, suggestions, links to previous Forum info, or advice on what I should to regarding this situation, would be gratefully appreciated.

Chrz, W.

Hi,

Can anyone help?

Hi folks,

I have joined the forum to find out help regarding an issue with my sisters car, so any info, tips, reference to guides and links within the Almera club, would be most gratefully appreciated. I'll try give a shortest account of the situation possible. The car she has is an Almera Tino 1.8 petrol, manual, 2005.

It would start first thing in the morning, then occasionally conk out on the move, and not be able to be re-started till approx 10mins after.

I have a domestic scan tool that read the fault as being the camshaft sensor bank 1. I replaced both the camshaft and the crank shaft sensor, reset the MIL, and it was sweet as a nut for over 6 months

The "driveshaft failed", details of which I'm not privy to as AA took her car to a garage where work was done.

Soon after, the car began to have the same conk out situation, but this time, would not re-start at all after.

I now have the car with me, my sister is too afraid to drive it as it left her "conked out" in many scary situations. The same fault is stored on the ECU, ie the camshaft sensor bank 1. I have checked the chain tensioner via the inspection plate, it protrudes, 9mm approx, but the chain is tight and visually in VGC. The car has been serviced every year, without fail, sometimes, twice per year. The car has 66753 miles on the clock.

I have read many forum info, with so many people, who know everything about...well nothing really, hence why I am here seeking help from those who know.

Now, said people mention timing chain stretch? Before I entertain changing the chain, I wanted to bring something to the fore; As is, the car will no fire up, it turns over, with the odd burst of fire up for a second, if that, before turning over again. If I unplug the camshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch, the car fires up and runs, albeit a wee bit faster than the norm. But, once running, plug back in both the camshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch, then there is a sweet, quiet running engine, that pulls without noise of hesitation.

Any pointers, suggestions, links to previous Forum info, or advice on what I should to regarding this situation, would be gratefully appreciated.

Chrz, W.

I would still think it's chain stretch as you've already eliminated the camshaft sensor by replacing it. If you take the timing chain cover off you should be able to see the tensioner. If this is extended between 10-12mm then the chain has stretched and is out of spec. Basically the slack in the chain causes the camshaft a to run out of time with each other the sensor reads the position of one sensor and extrapolates the position of the other (so I'm told) so if they are out of time the ECU cannot compensate for the difference.
A chain swap is not really a home mechanics job due to having to pressurise the valves and a few other things that are a massive pain.

Back
Top Bottom