N16 SR16VE

If it didn't happen in an engine, then it must have happened during transit due to insufficient packing to protect them. Either way I'd be a bit annoyed to get pistons in that condition - regardless of who's fault it may or may not be.

dale bud no refund needed, especially having just spent almost a ton on rings for them i'm fully invested lol

anyway as I said in our pm's the other week and in the above post the damage isn't terminal, i'll just flatten/round off the edges to save any hotspots :)

as I also said above i'm only interested in how it happened so as to be sure I don't come across the same issue, hence me asking for craig's input due to the fact you haven't used them or even fully looked at them, and tbh if it was random dings on one or two of them I wouldn't have even bothered mentioning it at all, its just the fact that all pistons are damaged on both sides at similar points that has me concerned.

Paul bud these were well packaged by dale so not shipping damage from this transaction, and as I said all pistons have damage on both sides in similar areas so random shipping/storage dings aren't the likely cause either, but stranger things have happened lol

anyway lets move on from this, my intent wasn't to point fingers at anyone or garner a refund, i just wanted a heads up for any possible/potential problems

....phone....

I'm still dipping my nose in :p

when i pulled them out all i could see was the burn marks on top, no dings at all to the best of my knowledge. I agree doesn't look like engine damage, some of those on the edges are awful if they'd be in the bores like that. The bores were also spotless, as steve will testify to when he bought the block, pistons etc all of me - before they went to dale.

Soory d00d can't help there, very odd.

thanks for the input bud, bottom line someone has fooked them up and wont own up to it even with no comeback on it lol. tbh seems most everything i buy from this site on trust turns out to be shit, n16 from wolve - totally fookered, 16ve pistons from dylan - totally fookered, fidanza fly from rich - friction surface totally fookered, these cp pistons - fookered. times have certainly changed as shit like this would have never happened before in owners clubs, sucks that i've to change my trusting side of my personality but it clearly needs to happen.

Unfortunately seems to be the way of the world at the moment Phil, hardly anyone gives a toss about anything but themselves these days. So for some folks, selling less than very good condition & totally servicable items is no problem to their conscience whatsoever :rolleyes: You seem to have been more unlucky than most though !

Fair enough at the damage and its reason to get annoyed but why didnt you check the pistons as soon as you got them and befpre buying new rings. Dale has offered to buy them back, what mpre do you want?

Im not having a go Phil, just saying it how i see it. I know to check parts on delivery from previous bad experiences.

where do you see me asking for anything but info liam? and from now on i wont be buying anything on trust off here, and things will be checked properly and not just checked to see if everything is there then placed aside till i'm ready to use them due to my now previous bad experiences, so just like you i will learn from said experiences ;) also jfyi the rings were ordered before the pistons were shipped, (in fact i paid for the rings about half an hour after i paid for the pistons) never mind arrived, and getting a refund on a set of pistons with £100 already laid out on rings that are only usable for that set of pistons helps me how? especially as they come with rings when bought new so the resale of the rings alone is very unlikely, and dale was informed of the damage the day they arrived and replied "I did see a minor scuff on the edge yeah, although i honestly didnt think it warranted mentioning though" the refund was only brought up yesterday.

anyway my point is that the burden should be on the seller to be truthful, not the buyer to second guess peoples honesty, especially so in an owners club where were supposed to be here to share and help each other, and no matter how anyone tries to spin this into being my fault that's the facts

but is it my fault for being too trusting, completely, but i don't see why me being a trusting, helpful (as well you know liam!) person should be used as an argument to turn this into my fault? but as they say you live and learn

As the seller, i have to take responsibility here, i'm not dodging anything. I didn't know they were damaged, and that is my own fault for not checking.

Like i've said here after seeing this damage, I will take them back, Phil, i will even purchase the new CP rings from you so that the whole lot is off your hands.

I will repair them and sell them on for the same price.

thanks for the very generous offer dale, but as I've already said several times I don't want one, all I've ever asked for was a heads up to how it happened due to the uniformity of the damage and the fact that every piston has it has me doubting its storage or transportation damage, and I especially wouldn't feel right you buying the rings only to loose out on the money as there is no way you'll sell a set of damaged cp pistons with rings for £350 considering they can be had brand new for not much more.

....phone....

actually iirc i took 1 or 2 of the pistons out before steve took the block and took the rest out - and i don't remember seeing any of that - and as i said with damage like that on the sides i'd expect to see some pretty mangled bores, and they bores were all like silk when steve removed the rest. As were bearings etc, so i really don't know on this one.

again thanks for the input bud, but all but one of the marks wouldn't touch the bores, due to where they are, as they are dented in not out. but anyway lets move on from this as there's nothing to be gained by dragging it out, as it seems they damaged themselves lol

anyway as I said in the first post on these I will fix them up and use them as they are, the rings are sitting in the local parcelfarce depot just awaiting the customs bill to drop through the door then my rebuild can start, finally lol

....phone....

just picked up the last of the things needed for the rebuild, (though I still need a dizzy rotor as greg was out of stock, will have to try my luck at the local nissan stealership lol) also the silicone pipes I bought the other day turned out to be no use (that'll teach me to trust someone else's measurements lol :D) so I ordered up some more and they arrived today. we'll be dropping nistro's rebuilt engine in this weekend and my build will begin after that :)

cp rings
IMG_20120626_151451.jpg

dizzy cap and crank seals
IMG_20120626_151429.jpg

reinforced silicone pipes to be cut down for the rear join between the block and coolant piping/thermostat housing, purely for preventative maintenance as I don't want to ever try and swap one of those with the engine in the car :eek:
IMG_20120626_132248.jpg

....phone....

Back
Top Bottom