New Almera owner

Hi all

I've just bought a 2005 Nissan Almera with 77k on the clock and a full years mot. I'm heading to pick the car up tonight.

I'm heading back to Nissan ownership after 2 years of owning a Fiat that has been fraught with problems.

Only one thing I am worried is the timing chains on these cars. I have had a read on the internet and the seem to be a problem on some cars, so I have a few questions on the timing chains.

Is it worth replacing the timing chain now that I have bought the car - I plan on giving it a full service in the next week or so.

When is it worth changing the timing chain? I owned a K11 micra previously and took it up to 84,000 without a timing chain replacement, I know the current owner of the car now and it has done just done over 100,000 with the original timing chain.

Cheers

Ryan

My car us a 2005 Almera and I've got problems with loss of power? Changed the sensors and Maf but no difference so I'm doing the timing chain myself.. big job. I'll keep you posted..

Usually the timing chains don't die before the engine does, If i remember right, the Nissan's recommendation is around 160/180 000 kilometers, which is around 135/150k miles, the chain can take longer time before needing to change though, I've heard of a Micra K11 that has ran 260 000km with it's original chain on the 1.4 liter engine, the owner got rid of the car because of engine starting to "knock" if that is the correct verb.

I'd say if you're going to overhaul / thinking of overhauling the engine someday, change the timing chain at the same time as well as the water pump.

That is incorrect, if its a 1.5 QG15 engine, they have major issues with timing chains. 1.8 engines less so.

On the older SR and GA engines you are correct but for some reason the 1.5's are especially prone to it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1.5's and 1.8's both bad for chains,i'am just doing a 1.8 chain as we speak.

Take off the rocker cover and upper timing chain cover,then check to see how much the chain tensioner is protruding...Anymore than 10mm then the chain need's replacement.

My almera adjuster protruding my around 12mm. Changed the chain but lack of power still? Changed the maf and cleaned the throttle body but still lack of power? New plugs and oil and changed rear back box on the exhaust but still lack of power? Help..

my wife has the same car with the same engine. 1.5. Is so much power fuller and mines using twice the fuel. using the monitored fuel MPG gauge.
I think ive put the timing chain on wrongly? Th emarks all line up but I think ive done the vvt wrong? Can anyone help??

1.5 don't have vvt? So just to confirm the pic in the image with the extension on the I let side I'd not vvt? Now I am confused? Help?
20161026_200032.jpg

My Almera is all sorted out now. The high fuel consumption was due to the car being left without moving for around 9 months and the front brake calipers became rusty. They would move forward but not return! All ok now..
Good tip for anyone to check the brake calipers are returning. Would not do it when cold only when taken for a run so hot...

Back
Top Bottom