Almera CarBQ

Theres no point putting vinyl on the windows as it will probably bubble/melt. Ill just paint the inside of them, and if it peels, ill paint it again. Ive already got paint in the garage and as im doing this on a fairly tight budget, im going to utilise whats available to me :)

The fuel tank is off, loads of room there now :)
DSC_0246_800x536.jpg

DSC_0245_800x536.jpg

Started to weld in some bracing...
DSC_0248_800x536.jpg

But ran out of welding wire :(
DSC_0252_800x536.jpg

Just ordered 2 reels of wire which should be here tuesday, so will get the rest of the brace in, then cut it up next saturday!!

Also got a free jockey wheel.

mmm yummy, you can give me a nice sausage once its done liam ;)
:eek:

Right...

A well overdue update. A few things have changed, but its all going to plan(ish). Im now using the front end of Grandad as i feel the back would be too big and a PITA to store ect.

Pics....
DSC_1407_800x600.jpg

DSC_1402_800x600.jpg

DSC_1403_800x600.jpg

DSC_1404_800x600.jpg

DSC_1405_800x600.jpg

As you can see he's cut in 2, just need to take the rear beam off my Sport+ then ill scrap that and the remainder of Grandad. Ive got a Ph1 GTi bumper in green, silver bonnet, BS7 drivers side wing, ph1 indicators and headlights, so all that is needed is a passenger wing! Im picking up a 205l oil drum in 2 weeks, so im just gonna cut that in half and use that. Not really a magical engineering feat, but practical, cheap and will still look quite cool :) Oil drums are 35" high and the gap between the strut towers is 36" so will fit perfectly!

Im on the lookout for scrap trailers/caravans so i can cut the towing/A frame off rather than trying to make one from scratch. So could you all keep your eyes peeled?

Once ive got the oil drum and passo wing, it'll be all welded/fitted and tidied up then painted... Still unsure on what colour im going to go for tho :rockon:

Now for the only area im still stuck on... As im using the front end, the wheels/hubs obviously steer. This isnt really desirable in a 2 wheel trailer, so i need to keep the wheels straight. The only thing ive managed to think of thus far is to remove the rest of the steering column to reveal the gears/UJs and weld them up to stop any movement. Then just get the wheels tracked using the adjustment on the TREs?

What do you guys think? Got any better/easier ways?

remove the steering rack completely and put a bar between the two tre mounting holes, and brace that bar to the bulkhead to keep it central.

no need for tracking adjustment. just make sure you get em dead straight

But surely a welded/bolted solid bar between the moving hubs/suspension and the stationary bulkhead wouldnt stay attached for very long?

As Ross said, but you`ll also need the sport+ tres to make it work properly.

Attatch an L shaped plate to the exact middle of the car/bulkhead, then attatch the 2 sport+ tres to the plate & weld 2 locking rods to them, then weld grandads tres to the other end of the rods & attatch them to the hubs, you should end up with a pivoting subframe of sorts, which lets the suspension work, but the wheels wont steer. ;)

Hope that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom