Ilsaw's QG18DE+T Dyno'd

Did you get to the bottom of the weird Swift spring lengths? I guessed that they did those lengths as springs being so stiff didn't need the travel?

Did you get to the bottom of the weird Swift spring lengths? I guessed that they did those lengths as springs being so stiff didn't need the travel?

Unfortunately No. The problem are not the springs. The damper body on the ERs are just too short. I specified the ride height I wanted when ordering the shocks hence am extremely disappointed as the message I am getting at this point is "you are on your own". My case has been escalated to BC Racing North America and BC Racing in Taiwan but I am not optimistic.

Anyone interested in my ERs? I am willing to sell my brand new shocks for 800GBP not including shipping which is half the price I paid for.

Or they are universal springs
Metric coilover springs are universal in that they will fit any coilover damper so long as the diameter is correct. Swift makes metric coilover springs of different diameters eg. 62mm, 65mm. The 65mm will fit a BC Racing coilover damper but as per above unfortunately the problem is not the spring length.

New Nismo rice errr... badge
DSCN0426.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

Nope. Have confirmed that longer/shorter springs will not affect the ride height of the ER damper due to the design. The ride height is adjustable independently on its own.

Can't you raise the spring perch then? From the pics you have a couple of inches at least you can raise them. Unless you've set the preload right, then it must be the spring length that is wrong for the weight of the springs against the damper travel.

I can raise the spring perch but if the damper shaft won't go higher then I'll just be adding more preload to the springs which is a no no. The only suggestion I received from BC is to use stiffer springs so that the car will not sag as much resulting in a slightly higher ride height. The other option is to order longer ER shock bodies. All this despite clearly stating the ride height I wanted upfront when ordering the shocks. Most unfortunate.

Springs have been upgraded to Swift racing springs from Japan. The only problem now is the Swift springs are too short. I specified 200mm height springs but got 152mm fronts and 178mm rears :(

So you're using springs shorter than the factory specify, but you think its a BC damper problem?
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I still see it as a spring problem not damper. I mean you said it yourself, you wanted 200mm but they sent you the wrong ones...

-phone-

I still see it as a spring problem not damper. I mean you said it yourself, you wanted 200mm but they sent you the wrong ones...

-phone-

That's what I initially thought so but more than one party including BC Racing, my installer in Penang told me the problem cannot be fixed by longer springs on such dampers with independent height adjustment meaning the ride height is independent of the spring height/length. I might do the following when I'm feeling up to it one of these days which is to remove the BR series coilovers currently on my car then disassemble and swap the springs over to the ER series to see if this will result in ride height change.

Last edited:
Im sorry but i think your installer doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the springs were longer you would be able to set the preload with a longer piston travel. End of.

-phone-

Im sorry but i think your installer doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the springs were longer you would be able to set the preload with a longer piston travel. End of.

-phone-

Well then it also looks like BC Racing all the way to the main office in Taiwan might also not know what they are talking about.

Spring length for the ER series as per BC head office in Taiwan. Look for Sentra 180/Sunny N16/B15
http://www.bcec.com.tw/products_app/APP-ER.htm

This listing just came up a couple weeks back. If only earlier..

Last edited:
10kg front 8kg rear those. Not much droop on those. What weight are yours?

Thats 160mm 10kg. If yours are 152mm and any less weight they are going to give shorter piston travel.

-phone-

I dont see how the design of the ER damper is any different to a BR, except the addition of the reservoir.
Why does spring length effect the BR ride height, and not the ER?

Fit your old BR springs and it'll be fine. Ditch your 'installer'.

Back
Top Bottom