Autech Pulsar GTi

Dale

Staff member
Yeah i agree with that David.

Im satisfied with my intake. It has a good 90mm cold air feed, the filter is shielded from engine heat, the exhaust is wrapped and also shielded and i have a thermal intake manifold spacer. Its 100% getting cold air.

The tubing going over the cam cover doesnt get hot, no more so than the heat soak you get on the intake manifold itself. The main thing is that cold air is entering at the air filter, i dont believe the air really has chance to warm up through the intake tube.

Dale

Staff member
Unlikely dude.

Mapping session coming soon though!

Did a compression test the other day and maxxed out the 300psi gauge on each cylinder.
Would guess it has 350psi across the board judging by how far round the needle was going.

Ive just switched to the highport cam cover to gain some extra room for the intake pipe. The highport cover is not as tall as a VE cam cover. First attempt at installing this didnt go well and ended up with lots of blue smoke and oil consumption. Think ive figured it out now.AUTECH ENGINE.jpg 2014-08-04 17.30.55.jpg

Last edited:

Dale

Staff member
Haha Yeah thanks must go to Sam for the tip on the highport cam cover. Will see how long it takes for him to persuade me into spending more money on a custom alloy intake pipe now.

Looking great Dale and good idea Sam with the valve cover. A fabricated pipe would just finish it off...In carbon though to prevent heat transfer ;) I've seen how hot my aluminium strut brace gets.
What you doing with the N1 valve cover.....:)

Dale

Staff member
Cheers Rob. Im hanging on to the N1 cover, just keeping as a spare. Its not in the best condition now anyway.

Dale

Staff member
Well i took the car in for tuning, with not so good results.
Ignoring the lowish peak hp numbers, the car is faster.

I have run into problems with audible pinging / detonation from around 5000-7000rpm with a bad missfire developing after 7300rpm, I thought ignition timing could have been tweaked to resolve this but all that happened was the power dropped masssively with only a couple of degrees taken out.

I noticed the detonation as soon as i fitted the N1 cams. No detonation was heard prior to this when using the regular 16VE cams.

The current setup is:
SR20DE Block / 16VE Head
SR16 Pistons
SR16 N1 Cams
Custom Intake Manifold
Q45 Throttle Body (80mm) with 73mm Intake Pipe
Custom 4-1 Exhaust Manifold (shortened mazworx header)
OEM CAT
2.25" Mandrel Exhaust (2" backbox)2014-09-03 17.39.44.jpg

Last edited:

Dale

Staff member
So now im looking at ways to eliminate the detonation and missfire.

I find it odd that the detonation occured after fitting the n1 cams and i think this might be key to resolving the issue.
Perhaps altering the cam timing might help??

Compression is over 300psi per cylinder.

Could be a weak spark? Worn Dizzy cap/rotor. Too hot heat range plug?

Last edited:

Dale

Staff member
The N1 cams are fitted straight up on OE cam gears. Retarding the intake cam might help reduce cylinder pressure, but not sure about that at higher RPM's??? Also havent got adjustable gears to test.

Running on 99RON fuel as always.

rowdy-GTi

Staff member
What was the fueling / AFRs like?
I assume N1 cams can make power up to 8k? If so on that graph you would make around 225-230hp. Is that a more reasonable figure? Liking the flat torque.

Top Bottom